hvx+minipro35

Ram Shani

• Premium Member
anyone know what will be the ASA for hvx+mini pro35?

I always think it's a bit meaningless to rate cameras with ASA, but lots of people say that the HVX is between 200 and 320. The Adapator will loose you a stop at least (more like 2)

jb

thanks that what i thought

i need to know so i can sand my gaffer to pre rig light and he will work with light meter so he need the asa

BTW if you change the frame rating in the hvx do you need to compensate in exposure?

Edited by Ram Shani

• Premium Member

I rate it at an 80ASA with the RR adapter, just to be safe. I find the camera generally is around a 200 asa w/o the adapter. But a lot depends on how much contrast there is in the scene. The HVX, in my experience, tends to have lackluster low-light response so any evenly lit dark scene will be problematic on her. At least that's my experience.

anyone know what will be the ASA for hvx+mini pro35?

I own and have rented out two HVX200 packages for the last two years; you can rate the HVX straight at 200 and with the P&S Technique mini35 at 80 ASA.

You'll really love what the HVX does with the mini35 adapter and primes.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

A little bit of a tangent, but I've had excellent results with the Brevis from Cinevate:

http://www.cinevate.com/website/index.php/products/

There is still the image inversion problem, but it's lightweight, looks great and has very little light loss - I generally 'rate' the HVX at 240ASA but with the Brevis I rate it at 200ASA

just got back from 2 day shooting with the hvx200 mini-pro

one day music video with optar lenses

one day with elit lenses

rating it at 80 asa is what i did and it look great but i have to be honest it was no beater then my letus35fe and my canon fd lenses

Edited by Ram Shani

• 4 weeks later...

So, Ram. How is the low light performance of the 200 with the Letus? I'd like to add a more cinematic feel to some of my event shoots, and am looking at this hardware combination. But I don't always have the lighting control I need, so low light performance is a concern. (Think of shooting people at a candle lit table from 20' away that you cannot add any light to.)

• Premium Member
But I don't always have the lighting control I need, so low light performance is a concern. (Think of shooting people at a candle lit table from 20' away that you cannot add any light to.)

Doesn't sound very promising... <_<

• 3 weeks later...
A little bit of a tangent, but I've had excellent results with the Brevis from Cinevate:

http://www.cinevate.com/website/index.php/products/

There is still the image inversion problem, but it's lightweight, looks great and has very little light loss - I generally 'rate' the HVX at 240ASA but with the Brevis I rate it at 200ASA

Agreed, I used the Brevis35 on a feature I just shot and we never had any trouble with it cutting too much light. Even with the flip module you won't lose but 1 stop (.7 or .8 I think)

• 3 months later...

If I'm shooting outdoors in bright daylight with this setup and want to maintain a shallow stop, can I still use the hvx's nd filter wheel, or do I have to put the filters in the matte-box? I want to shoot with the lens completely unprotected. (And the producer doesn't want to rent the filters.)

Edited by Jon Rosenbloom

• Premium Member
If I'm shooting outdoors in bright daylight with this setup and want to maintain a shallow stop, can I still use the hvx's nd filter wheel, or do I have to put the filters in the matte-box? I want to shoot with the lens completely unprotected. (And the producer doesn't want to rent the filters.)

I'm sure that would be alright. It gets to be a problem, of course, when you stop down the actual "fstop" below a 5.6 or so, and you start to see the grain of the ground glass. But there's also something like ND on the adapter itself.

Buuuut, filters are pretty cheap when you're renting an HVX/Adapter/Lens setup.