Low key lighting

I am a third year degree student, currently writing my dissertation. My dissertation is going to be based around an investigation into Chiaroscuro lighting. I would really appreciate any thoughts, and comments from professionals. I am particularly keen to know why cinematographers use this style of low-key lighting and what impact you feel it has on an audience.

Many Thanks

Melita Schiemann

melita.schiemann@gmail.com

I am a third year degree student, currently writing my dissertation. My dissertation is going to be based around an investigation into Chiaroscuro lighting. I would really appreciate any thoughts, and comments from professionals. I am particularly keen to know why cinematographers use this style of low-key lighting and what impact you feel it has on an audience.

Many Thanks

Melita Schiemann

melita.schiemann@gmail.com

Wow, Hi Melita, you make an interesting question. The art of cinematography it comes inspired in great masters of paintings, they were the first people who ask how they could used the light to shape an image using the volume, the colors, the forms. In the Renaissance the constant fight between the light and the darkness becomes more evident.

Various artists in this time interpreted religious passages and they want transmit that respect to this passages using a lot of darkness in every scene, remember at this time all most everything it was around the religion... Adding Darkness create a new vision about God, saints and biblical passages that use of darkness transmitting fear to religious thing.. The church request through its archbishop paintings that represent different passages and were these those that accepted or not those paintings if they represented the Biblical passage well or he rejected them.

That's the way how painters begin to create more contrast in paintings. They use the darkness to transmit fear, solemnity, respect... That's how using paintings more and more contrasted create what now we know as Chiaroscuro

In this time Chiaroscuro transmit to the town that respect just seeing that paintings... I guess our interpretation about chiaroscuro was inherited of our ancestors. I think that's why the cinematographer use at this time Chiaroscuro to communicated something about any scenes obtaining until now that inherited interpretation ...

Rembrand and Caravaggio my two favorite paintings of each one

Hope helps

Xavier Plaza

post-11257-1203180909.jpg

• Premium Member
The term [ Chiaroscuro] really only applies to B/W Cinematography as far as i concerned . Have you read John Altons ASC book the name escapes me but he was a master at that type of lighting .

I guess you're referring to Painting with Light?

IMO chiaroscuro doesn't apply to B&W only, as the term literally means light and dark. In color you can work with colors as well as lightness to separate and model depth. In B&W you loose the color effect and work with light & dark only.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

Why would chiaroscuro only apply to b&w cinematography??? All the paintings that used it were in color! It just means the use of light and shadow, particularly a preponderance of darkness in the frame to create mood and depth -- ala Gordon Willis, Vittorio Storaro, etc. I think the temple scene at the end of "Apocalypse Now" is a particular good example:

apocalypse3.jpg

Thank you for all your feedback, its all been very useful to me. The further I look into the subject the more interesting it becomes. If you have some time would you mind answering some of the questions below?

1. What was it that first got you interested in lighting?

2. Have you ever lit anything in low key, what was it?

3. Why was the decision made to light in low key?

4. Do you think of high and low key lighting as a sign? If so what do you think the project to an audience?

5. Do you enjoy lighting things in low key?

6. Do you think its more challenging to light scenes in Low key?

This is purely for Educational purposes. If you would be interested in reading the final version, email me at: melita.schiemann@gmail.com and I?ll send you a copy.

Many thanks ?

melita

• 4 weeks later...

1. What was it that first got you interested in lighting?

The mood and emotion that it creates.

2. Have you ever lit anything in low key, what was it?

Yes. Outdoors shot, night time.

3. Why was the decision made to light in low key?

Moon and camp fire.

4. Do you think of high and low key lighting as a sign? If so what do you think the project to an audience?

I think it projects several messages. As an immediate example It can create tension (Just David's ref to Apo Now) but it is all related to the story and where it is at.

5. Do you enjoy lighting things in low key?

Yes.

6. Do you think its more challenging to light scenes in Low key?

Not more challenging but certainly challenging.

Hope that helps with your papers.

Cheers

S