I got my first role of 16mm processed and telecined onto mini DV the other day.

When i captured it, from mini DV and looked at it, it seems to have a lot of digital noise in there and only looks right when you shrink it to web streaming size.

The film lab didn't give me a log sheet or anything so i don't know what process they actually put it through, but have i been 'done over' or is there another explaination? im new to this so im really not sure?

When i captured it, from mini DV and looked at it, it seems to have a lot of digital noise in there and only looks right when you shrink it to web streaming size.

The film lab didn't give me a log sheet or anything so i don't know what process they actually put it through, but have i been 'done over' or is there another explaination? im new to this so im really not sure?

I'd contact the lab and ask for your timing sheet so you can see how it was printed. You may of been underexposed so they printed up? Could be one of the reasons for the noise.

• Premium Member
I'd contact the lab and ask for your timing sheet so you can see how it was printed. You may of been underexposed so they printed up? Could be one of the reasons for the noise.

There is also a huge difference in quality from telecine house to telecine house. And was it a one light, a best light, done on a Rank Cintel, done on a Spirit? All of these variables can make a big difference in the quality of the final output. Also, MiniDV is quite compressed, so that might be causing some issues as well.

When you find a good telecine house, that uses a Spirit Datacine, and transfers to DigiBeta, the quality will be MUCH better, but it will also cost quite a bit more.

Best,

-Tim

• Site Sponsor

You could have caught a bad tape too, is the digital noise "blocky" any properly maintained telecine be it a Rank or Spirit should not have significant noise and should have good resolution and color, if there was a problem in the SDI to Mini-DV deck or a bad tape they should redo the job for free...

-Rob-