Hello

This is Arshad. I am a software engineer by profession right now. I am fond of photography. I have a desperate desire to become a Movie director. When I think about cameras my creative sense starts glowing. I want to covert this glow to Fire.

Right now my conditions not allow me to enter into this field directly. I cant even start any professional course rite now. But I want to START of my own.

In short the question is that "How should I coach my self"? That is the only reason I have joined this forum.

Seeking Guidance

Arshad.

In short the question is that "How should I coach my self"?

Watch movies. Preferably well-directed ones. Pay attention to how the directors use shot selection and edits to tell their stories.

Then get yourself an inexpensive camera and a couple of friends and start making your own movies.

• Premium Member

read and study! and practice! I've learned SO much in the last year from reading as many books as I can get my hands on and going out and shooting anything! 35mm stills/MiniDV shorts, anything!

I recommend Cinematography: Theory and Practice and Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blain Brown

Cinematography: Third Addition by Kris Malkiewitz and M. David Mullen, Film Directing: Shot by Shot by Stephen Katz

and a lot more that are listed in the Recommended Books section of the forum.

Watch a lot of commentaries on DVD's as well!

that's my two cents... I was self taught until last year and now am in school and these resources (cine.com + books and DVD's) taught me more than the first few months in school!

good luck!

Edited by John Hoffler

your passion is every thing

books are great but as add on

you should see as many movies as you can

and shoot shoot shoot

if you can get hold of cam like the canon hv-20 which is great cam for like 600$

shoot and edit your staff. you will see how fast you learn

I wholeheartedly second that.

Also, watch as many movies that you can back to back. 2-3 a day if you can. Take a vacation if you have to. But spend a couple of weeks doing nothing but watching movies/commentaries. You'll be surprised by how quickly you'll pick up the language and the skills if you immerse yourself like that.

Any movies with commentary anyone would like to suggest?

-Rh

David Fincher, Paul Thomas Anderson, Steven Soderberg, and Ridley Scott usually have something interesting to say about their filmmaking process on their commentaries. For lower-budget stuff... Anything by Robert Rodriguez.

There's many others, but i'm having a brain-freeze.

read and study! and practice! I've learned SO much in the last year from reading as many books as I can get my hands on and going out and shooting anything! 35mm stills/MiniDV shorts, anything!

I recommend Cinematography: Theory and Practice and Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blain Brown

Cinematography: Third Addition by Kris Malkiewitz and M. David Mullen, Film Directing: Shot by Shot by Stephen Katz

that's my two cents... I was self taught until last year and now am in school and these resources (cine.com + books and DVD's) taught me more than the first few months in school!

good luck!

awesome nice advice im goin to check out this books as soon as i can! :lol:

Watch movies. Preferably well-directed ones. Pay attention to how the directors use shot selection and edits to tell their stories.

Then get yourself an inexpensive camera and a couple of friends and start making your own movies.

Thanks Chance..!! :rolleyes:

good luck!

Thank you John...!! It was a great advice..!!

• Premium Member

I would also reiterate that going out and shooting ANYTHING at all is the most invaluable tool ever. Once I started going out and shooting just simple setups, I learned 10 times faster.

some of my favorite commentaries are:

American Beauty (Sam Mendes and Conrad Hall)

Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola) - actually most of his are good (Godfather 1 &2)

Requiem for a Dream (both Aranofsky's and Libatique's)

Taxi Driver (Scorsese)

Dark City (Roger Ebert)

Citizen Kane (Roger Ebert)

Memento (Christopher Nolan)

Following (Christopher Nolan - his first low budget feature in B&W)

Boogie Nights (P.T. Anderson)

Amadeus (Milos Forman)

Aliens (James Cameron and Cast/Crew)

Primer (Shane Carruth - film made for under $10,000)

Heat (Michael Mann)

Seven (David Fincher and Darius Khonji's)

a BUNCH of Criterion DVD's have excellent commentaries as well!

while not every one of these is SUPER educational, they are the ones I find myself listening too more than once...

I hate when Director's or DP's on commentaries just kind of mumble about some guy they met, and where there were good sandwiches near a location, or just dote praise on their lead actor without telling you anything informational.

or the "long pause" while they just watch it with you... ugh!

and I second Ram's post.... you have to have a passion for it!!

Edited by John Hoffler

• 3 months later...

Do what I did, read Dov S.S. Simens book "From Reel To Deal." Not only will it teach you what the director does, but also how the entire filmmaking process works. I should warn you, though, that it was copyrighted 2003, so it's a little old. But it is a very excellent learning tool.

Ya know yu mentioned in your first post, you weren't able to enter the field directly but with all due respect, that's not entirely true. The FIRST rule of indy film making is use what ya got!!! Well what is it you got? You GOT an significant knowledge of computers and access to a lot of computers. " So What " you say, "What has that got to do wuth turning my dream of making a movie into a reality??!!" Well I'll tell you what that has to do with making your dream a reality. You're a software developer. You now computers inside and out. might I recommend computer animation. You can do it right on you computer at home, you already have a strong working knowledge of programming so graphics should come easy to you and you should be able to pick them up very quickly. I would recommend Lightwave or Maya but you can even start with Blender:

http://www.blender.org/

which is a free animation program you just download. It was originally designed as a gaming program and the learning curve is a little steep but I learned on it so pretty much anyone can. Another free program is Terragen:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

which is used to create 3d landscapes and MAN for freeware programs just take LOOK at what these puppies can do!!!!

Other commercial programs are Poser, Bryce, Studio Max 3D and the list goes on but those are the biggies. I personally use Lightwave and it is utterly amazing, You have virtual cameras and lights, you set the lenses, it's exactly like having your own virtual set and you can learn a LOT from computer animation. Don't believe you can make a movie like this? Let me COUNT the ways!:

Toy Story

Cars

Shrek

Final Fantasy

The Incredibles

The Polar Express

A.Li.Ce

Alibaba

The Ant Bully 0

Antz

Appleseed

Appurushîdo

Appleseed Ex Machina

Ard Al Taaf

Ark

Arthur and the Minimoys aka. Arthur and the Invisibles

Atagoal: Cat's Magical Forest

Back to Gaya aka. The Snurks

Barnyard

The Bee Julia and Mrs. Vita

L'Apetta Giulia e la signora Vita

Bee Movie

Beowulf

Bonobono: Kumomo no Ki no Koto

A Bug's Life

Cars

Cassiopéia

Chicken Little

Delgo

Dragons: Destiny of Fire

Una Película de huevos

Egon & Dönci

Elias and the Royal Yacht

Elysium

The Emperor's Secret

Especial

Everyone's Hero

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Finding Nemo

Flushed Away

Fly Me to the Moon

Free Jimmy

Happily N'Ever After

Happy Feet

Hoodwinked

Horton Hears a Who!

Ice Age

Ice Age: The Meltdown

Igor

Impy's Island

The Incredibles

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius

Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie

Kaena: The Prophecy

Khan Kluay

Kung Fu Panda

Little Vuk

The Living Forest

Madagascar

The Magic Roundabout aka. Doogal

Meet the Robinsons

Midsummer Dream

Monsters, Inc.

Monster House

Nak

Open Season

Over the Hedge

Pinocchio

Pirates in the Pacific

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie

The Polar Express

Ratatouille

Robots

Shark Bait

Shark Tale

Shrek

Shrek 2

Shrek the Third

Space Chimps

Spirit of the Forest

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Sunshine Barry & The Disco Worms

Surf's Up

Terkel in Trouble

Terra

TMNT

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

The Ugly Duckling and Me!

Thru the Moebius Strip

Valiant

Vexille

WALL-E

The Wild

Winx Club - The Secret of the Lost Reign

And THAT'S just the 3d animation!! Here's the ones that are coming up:

Around the World in 50 Years

The Bear and the Bow

Bolt

Calling All Robots

A Christmas Carol

Citizen Siege

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

The Fake Hero

Frog Paradise

Goat Story - The Old Prague Legends

The Golden Donkey

Holy Night!

How to Train Your Dragon

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs In Search of Oniria

En Busca de Oniria

Jack and Ben's Animated Adventure

Krakatuk

Кракатук

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Monsters vs. Aliens

Neanderthals

Newt

Planet 51

Plumíferos

Punk Farm

Puss in Boots: The Story of an Ogre Killer

Rapunzel

Resident Evil: Degeneration

Biohazard: Degeneration

Roadside Romeo

Sapsan

Shrek Goes Fourth

Shrek 5

Spike and Suzy: The Texas Rangers

Sultan the Warrior

Sword-bearer's Heart

Сердце Оруженосца (Serdtse Oruzhinostsa)

Tale of Despereaux

Toy Story 3

Up

The Wild Bunch

Yona Yona Penguin

Never say never. If you want to make a movie NOTHING will stand in your way unless you allow it to. Get a decent graphics card with dual monitor setup al FAST processor or 4, loads of ram and hard drive space and if ya want to get REAL fancy set up a small render farm. Get a copy of Photoshop, and and editing software program like Premiere and go to town. Write a script, RE_WRITE IT till it's good. have a couple of good actors do the voices while you video tape them, create the animation based on their movements and expressions, add sound FX, music and titles AND whola!! YOU, my friend have just made a film! B)

Good advice all, even if it were bad i wouldn't know the difference, or for now at least. Thanks for posting that question Arshad.

I was watching commentaries on the movie "Snatch" by Guy Ritchie and they talked about how they made the movie, i thought it was very interesting.

JJ