Using 80 min. tapes with HXV200?

Marc Oberdorfer

I just got a HXV203 (which is same as HXV200A) in Hong Kong.

I had to download a English manual from the Panasonic website as the included one is Chinese only.

In the download manual it says do not use 80 minute tapes with the camera.

It just so happens that I bought 5 pcs. Panasonic AY-DVM83PQ cassettes. I can't imagine that there would be any damage to use them in the HXV200 however with such expensive equipment you don't wanna push your luck.

Someone any insight on this?

For the HVX, as far as I know, you can use tape, but it is only DV quality at that point.

In the end, the only way to get HD off of it is via the P2 Cards.

I know that you can use tape on the HVX200 but my question was/is if anyone is "safely" using 80 minute tapes because Panasonic explicitly states in the manual that you shoud NOT use 80 minute tapes.

Well; that being the case... don't use them!

Though, honestly I can't think of a major (technological ) reason why they'd kaput; though it could be mechanical (camera can't pull it fast enough?)

That's what I was thinking, I don't see any reason why they can't be used but still I don't want to risk and damage the tape drive.

On the other hand, they write following:

"Use the following miniDV cassette tapes with this camera-recorder.

AY-DVM63 series tape (60 minutes in sp mode)

Do not use 80-minute DV cassette tapes"

So you should only use AY-DVM63 Pana tapes, huh??

Is it a marketing thing, it appears as they want people only buy the pro Panasonic tapes and maybe the 80 minutes pro Panasonice tapes weren't on the market when the manual was printed?

That's the only logical thing I can think of. And the shop clerk didn't mention anything regarding use of 80 minute tapes but I guess he doesn't have that much knowledge about the camera in the first place.

• Premium Member

I had heard the same warnings of the DVX, and one owner swore to me it HAD to use those tapes! (the Pro pannys). However, From experience, I've found little difference between the brands, though I prefer the sonys.

I had heard that the manufactures use different methods of tape construction, one metal evaporated (sony i think) and the other. .. something else.

Brand in tape-stock is quite often like brand in DVD and/or hard-drive. Minor differences, yet overall the same thing.

Stick to something name-brand, be it Sony or Panasonic, 60 min tapes, and you should be fine.

As for the 80 min tapes; just use them in different cameras.

Stick to something name-brand, be it Sony or Panasonic, 60 min tapes, and you should be fine.

As for the 80 min tapes; just use them in different cameras.

I wanted to buy the 60 minutes version but they were out of stock.

I'll try and contact Panasonic about this. the 80 minute tapes I bought are the same pro type, just 80 minutes.

• Premium Member

Just a thing i heard or read about, tapes from different manufacturer's use different lubricants on the tapes What I gathered from that is what you initially use as tape stock, stick with

The tape in the 80 minute tapes is physically thinner than in the 60 minute tapes (that's how they get more tape in the same area.), so the 80 minute tapes are more prone to snapping and getting stuck in the tape head of the camera.

Just a thing i heard or read about, tapes from different manufacturer's use different lubricants on the tapes What I gathered from that is what you initially use as tape stock, stick with

And this would be 100% correct... always use the same tape brand or use a head cleaner tape before switching brands.

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

The tape in the 80 minute tapes is physically thinner than in the 60 minute tapes (that's how they get more tape in the same area.), so the 80 minute tapes are more prone to snapping and getting stuck in the tape head of the camera.

And this would be 100% correct... always use the same tape brand or use a head cleaner tape before switching brands.

Ok, guess I'll be returning those 80 minute tapes and keep searching for the Pana 60 minute version. Makes sense with the thinner tape. Thank you.

Edited by Marc Oberdorfer