eyecups?

Nick Norton

Hello all, just wondering if anyone knew where to purchase eyecups? (believe that is what they are called)

Mine would be for a Kinoptik viewfinder on my eclair ACL. It has an eyecup already, but i do not like it. I believe i have seen some that fit over the existing eyecup?

Any help would be fantastic!

-Nicholas

Do you mean soft Chamois covers that go over eyepieces on viewfinders? Filmtools has them.

Also, a reminder to all that a chamois or synthetic eyepiece cover is an important part of hygiene for your eyes, not just comfort. At roughly $4 USD a pop, they are expendable and can save you from all that nasty sweaty crusty eye crap on those rental cameras and a possible eye infection. Buy a dozen and keep them in your ditty bag.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

On a feature in the Phillippines, we opened a 'new' chamois bag (from the rental house) to find a dirty... BLOODY Chamois!!!!!!! Ya.. real Blood! Anyway, they were obviously recycling them with a quick rinse. Thankfully, my 1st AC was a pro and had a dozen with him....

Like underwear, bring your own.. don't share! :blink:

Edited by David Rakoczy

Worked with a 1st AC who referred to the eyepiece chamois as a "teddy bear a**ho**" (TBA). We found using a large round on an old-style Arri eyepiece lead to frequent "prolapses." :lol:

I still call chamois TBA, people crack up when I tell them what it means, that's a good one :)

• 6 months later...

Did you have any luck in finding an eye chamois to fit your camera? We manufacture the Bluestar Eyecushions.

Eli

There are numerous sizes of these at filmtools.com

Anyone have any idea as to what size would fit a Kinoptik Viewfinder on an eclair ACL?

LINK to my camera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Thanks!

-Nicholas

• Premium Member

On some jobs it seems like everybody and their brother wants to stick his eye on the eyepiece. I've gotten an eye infection on a job before, most likely because of that problem. Change those things often, they get nasty fast.

On some jobs it seems like everybody and their brother wants to stick his eye on the eyepiece. I've gotten an eye infection on a job before, most likely because of that problem. Change those things often, they get nasty fast.

Big +1 on this! I have had it out with quite a few producers who find this an unneccessarily large expense. Of course they are never the ones to get the infection.

Why bother to make a film if you can not afford to ensure the hygiene of your personnel?

And by the way, an SR2 oval eyepiece will fit an ACLII very nicely.