Ugly

Hello everyone, I read this section a lot and always enjoy reading about how other peoples shoots went and seeing some stills, so I'm excited to post how my last shoot went.

Anyway my first 35mm short film shoot wrapped 2 weeks ago.

The director and myself bought the film off a production company that planned to shoot a pilot on film, but then switched to HD last minute so they sold the 200T film to us for a really low cost. Then the local film co-op pitched in for processing and transfer to HDCAM.

The cast and crew were all volunteers so there were some learning curves but all in all we finished on schedule.

There were only 2 locations 1 being a nice summer cottage location where the cast and crew had to stay over night because of an early morning sunrise crew call for 4am. The other location was a psychiatrists office that we used for a family doctors office.

With this film we were going for somewhat natural lit with a lot of contrast

Here are some photos taken with a Nikon camera. Let me know what you guys think.

opening.jpg

This scene the director wanted to put emphasis on her burn scar so when she turned to talk she was hit with a bit of light revealing the scar at the start of the film.

night.jpg

dr.jpg

timcutface.jpg

window.jpg

camerateam.jpg

The camera dept. 1st AC on the left me in the middle and 2nd AC on the right and the sound guy in the background catching up on some sleep.

• 1 month later...

Hello Jesse,

I like these shots a lot, they have a 70's feeling, can you tell us more about your lighting package ? How did you lit the third and fourth image you added ? I like the hard light on the third picture a lot, did you use a chimera ?

thank you :)

Hello Jesse,

I like these shots a lot, they have a 70's feeling, can you tell us more about your lighting package ? How did you lit the third and fourth image you added ? I like the hard light on the third picture a lot, did you use a chimera ?

thank you :)

I dont like the lighting on shot 3 and 4 (out of the 6, starting from the top).

To me it just looks like it obvious that a light is there and you can clearly see the reflection and it sort of glows. What light did you use here?

It just looks ugly and contrived to me

The lighting package that we used for this shoot basically consisted of having 2 diva's, 2-Redheads, and 3-Fresnel 300w. The setups were very simple, the redhead was usually the key light plugged into a dimmer and the diva would be used for a bit of fill and occasionally a 300w for rim or background lighting depending on certain scenes.

The lighting package that we used for this shoot basically consisted of having 2 diva's, 2-Redheads, and 3-Fresnel 300w. The setups were very simple, the redhead was usually the key light plugged into a dimmer and the diva would be used for a bit of fill and occasionally a 300w for rim or background lighting depending on certain scenes.

Ahh Ok. I would personally never point a red-head directly at my subject (even with a dimmer board) and the same for the 300W fresnels. I always put a layer of diffusion on the 300W and reflect the red-heads off a poly board and it gives me a really nice, hard but soft light.

Do you agree with my comments on picture 3 and 4?

Hi

I really like the 1st shot, the amount of contrast and the details in the shadows are awesome...but is that becoz of the Nikon u used. Also would like to know what lights you used for this particular shot?

Also i too agree that shot 3 and 4 look really different from the others, was that intentional?

Daniel, where the lights were hitting their face there were windows so we had the lights shining through the windows creating the harsh light look from the sun, hope that answers your question.

I understand what you were trying to do but its just obvious that a light is sitting there. The reflection is from the light, not the sun. But dont worry about it.... post a link to the film when its done!