For the busy ones

F Bulgarelli

Hello there

Would anyone like to comment on the issue of dealing with several projects at the same time.

For instance, you are shooting a commercial this week and then you have a music video coming up in a couple of weeks and perhaps you are interviewing for a feature.

I know most people are not this busy but I'm sure some people have to juggle several projects at the same time.

What's your strategy!

Thanks

Francisco

• Premium Member

Uh, you just do it!

Sorry to sound glib, but if it's your job to shoot film and/or video, you don't gripe about having to get up and go to work every day. You know what tasks need to be accomplished on any given day, and you do it, just like any other job. The fact that it may be different clients or projects just makes it more stimulating, if you ask me.

Use a calendar to keep your dates straight, and try to avoid too many schedule conflicts. Make sure you can devote the necessary time to prep, and schedule some down time for yourself so you can rest, just to keep going. Ocassionally you have to delegate some tasks or call in a favor to have someone cover for you. It's all part of the game.

And yeah, I've been pretty busy with multiple projects for the last several months. I've actually had to turn work down on a weekly basis just so I can have one day in 10 off, and to give priority to my bread and butter clients. I love what I do and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to do it almost every day. This week I only have one tech scout (so far), so I'm getting caught up on errands and bills...

• Premium Member

My work is either stacked or not at all. It?s just funny how it works that way.

I have a music video this weekend, a short on Tuesday, and general preproduction on a different show. Then I will go a little while with nothing.

I just try to stay very aware of my time, so as to be sure I am devoting enough to each project.

Kevin Zanit

Organization is the key to any type of video/film work. You need to be able to keep track of where you are, where you need to be. Don't be afraid to say no, you need to factor travel time and setup time on top of merely reel time.

As always- "log, log, log!" (from Ren & Stimpy)

• Premium Member
As always- "log, log, log!" (from Ren & Stimpy)

That's great! :P I never thought of it that way. "It sits on your back, it's great for a snack..."

As Kevin said it is definitely feast or famine in the freelance biz. That helps mitigate the extra load when you have it; you realize there will be plenty of down time/down income later on down the road.

It's definetely great to be busy. The one thing I find challenging is the creative aspect of it.

I mean, coming up with creative ideas for the different projects. It almost seems like you could hit a mental block when there is just too much thrown at you and might become a bit repetitive. I'm not really that busy, but the times that I've had to deal with several projects at the same time I found it a bit chalenging, creatively speaking.

Francisco

I've been blessed in the movie biz. I pretty much go from feature to feature film. The funny part is that I only get 3 or 4 calls for work per year. When I'm on a movie for 5 to 7 months, I won't hear a thing. As the picture is nearing an end, the phone starts ringing again. No complaints on my part!!!

• Premium Member
I mean, coming up with creative ideas for the different projects.

the times that I've had to deal with several projects at the same time I found it a bit chalenging, creatively speaking. 

It takes a little practice to learn how to "shift gears" from one project to another. You have to know how to set aside time for each project, and concentrate on JUST that project for the few minutes/hours/days that you have to devote to it.

I've found it's actually easier to jump from one project to the next when you're really busy, because you get used to the rythm of it. What's hard is when you've been on a feature for several weeks and then have to jump into a completely different type of project. THAT transition always seems harder to me, because you've got kind of a groove or momentum from the previous project to overcome.

• Premium Member

My favorite thing is what happened to me this week:

I turned down 7 or 8 job offers this week (when it rains it pours ;) ) because I had another show this weekend. Now I get a call from production telling me they are pushing one week. Good times. Hey, it?s just money right <_<

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Hi,

I hardly have time to breathe at the moment, although not a lot of it's camerawork - I wish it was. Yesterday I did 9 to 5 at Filmlight, got in, worked on a cut for about three hours, wrote up a call sheet for Saturday, sent out the email, dealt with some bills and, at around 1am, hit the sack. SIx hours later the alarm went off. Freelancing rocks!

But I'm not working all day Friday and I have Sunday off, so it's a pretty easy week.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Nash wrote:

> I've found it's actually easier to jump from one project to the next when you're really busy,

> because you get used to the rythm of it. What's hard is when you've been on a feature for

> several weeks and then have to jump into a completely different type of project. THAT

> transition always seems harder to me, because you've got kind of a groove or momentum

> from the previous project to overcome.

In my student days (not that long ago) there was an 8 week period where I shot 5 short films, a spec spot and a music video, and yeah, I really got a rhythm to it. The way I did it was I organised everything by tasks, eg one day of testing for as many projects as I could, one day putting together gear lists, one day meeting with four different Production Designers, etc, and the amazing thing was that I never ever got any of the projects mixed up, so I guess you just gotta get stuck in.

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney