Bazooka on a slider?

Daniel Wallens

Hey all,

I am going to be rigging some interior car shots (from the backseat of a SUV out the front windshield) and would like to give the operator and DP as much flexibility as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on putting a bazooka (a telescopic one) on a slider. Is there a particular model of bazooka I should use? A specific make of slider? Or is this a fairly easy connection/setup?

sliders can bind and cause unwanted friction when the point of pressure is too far above the mitchell plate. try either putting the slider onthe bazooka, or apple boxing up the slider and just adding a 6" riser. I think the height is 1.5x the width of the slider tray ( the actual sliding mitchell plate)

I get that you want to adjust height without rebuilding too much. but the slider on the bazooka is better.

thanks very much guys for your replies :) will adhere to them.

Also, I think I'm not going to have a problem mounting the whole thing, but perhaps you guys have some other ideas on how to adhere the bazooka onto a piece of plywood (fitted to the back seat section of the car).

Daniel

If your plywood is already fastened to the floor, then mounting the bazooka with 3 dock rings and ratchets (hookless) shouldn't be a problem...hell, 3 sand bags on each leg would even do the trick, depending also on the rate of speed of travel of course.

Actually... the simplest way is a good way...bag the crap out of it, and it will allow you to focus on your other tasks.

Just another way and my 2 cents

Stay classy

here is how we rigged a slider on "Burn After Reading"

Victor

Hey all,

I am going to be rigging some interior car shots (from the backseat of a SUV out the front windshield) and would like to give the operator and DP as much flexibility as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on putting a bazooka (a telescopic one) on a slider. Is there a particular model of bazooka I should use? A specific make of slider? Or is this a fairly easy connection/setup?

Hi Dan,

I would seriously advise against using a telescoping riser on a slider (or any riser for that matter). The slider is likely to get damaged by the leverage generated from the weight riding that high above the carriage. Having said that I would not really recommend rigging the slider on the bazooka either. It is likely that you will damage the slider with the weight cantilevered at one end on a moving car.

In my opinion Victors method is the safe way to go. If you use Ronford Bakers sliders they come with speedrail adaptors that make a rig like that very quick to adjust.

Take a look at the way I have rigged a slider for this shot. It was for a car chase sequence and I had to track the camera under a moving truck and out the other side - http://www.thegripworks.com/rigging.html

Hope that helps

Regards

Sanjay Sami

Key Grip

www.thegripworks.com