What slate to buy?

I'm going to buy a slate since I realized how useful it can be in the editing, so I was wondering what would be the best to get. I've been looking through Film Tools and everyone says Don Earl, so I'm assuming that is the way to go.

Should I go for the engraved or the reverse laminate? The reverse laminate seems like it would be better because it would be easier to clean.

Lastly, instead of getting the full slate together, at Film Tools it would be cheaper to buy a replacement slate insert and the clapper sticks seperately (like $20 cheaper). Is that the way to go, or is there something different between the two?

Don Earl Engraved Slate

Don Earl Reverse Laminate Slate

Don Earl Replacement Engraved Slate

Replacement Clapper Sticks

- Steve

• Premium Member
I think the engraved one is just as easy to clean. The laminate ones i've seen always start to peel off the back and get real grungy lookin after a while.

Kinda depends on what you use to clean your slate with. I've been using isopropyl alcohol and water because I'm cheap, and I've found that the black ink inside the engraving comes off with alcohol. So I'd get the reverse laminate, but that's just me.

Lastly, instead of getting the full slate together, at Film Tools it would be cheaper to buy a replacement slate insert and the clapper sticks seperately (like $20 cheaper). Is that the way to go, or is there something different between the two?

That confused the hell out of me too:

Maybe they only sell the replacement parts if you've bought the complete unit before.

This is worth a phone call from you.

Are you shooting double system ?

If you mean seperate video and audio, no. If you mean multiple camera setups, then no also. Not exactly sure what you mean by "double system"?

@ Ira

I just called and you can buy the replacement parts whenever.

I think I'm just going to buy the replacement parts because it's cheaper and I'm a student at a minimum wage job barely working any hours, so I kinda need money in order to... live...

What happened to black slates and chalk? Seriously, it's not a facetious question.

I used one once, and I absolutely hated it. The chalk was messy, you needed a different eraser and then another damp cloth to clean the board if you couldn't read it because of all of the erasures as well as a dry one to dry it after cleaning it. It's also a lot rougher to write on and sometimes the chalk would actually dig into the board which made it very hard to write over it. It was just an awful experience.

With the wipe-board slate, you get a pen that has one of the erasers on it and that's all you need.

Don Earl Replacement Engraved Slate

Replacement Clapper Sticks

Might as well buy the sticks & slate separate since that's the cheapest route.

Yeah, I ended up buying the seperate pieces last night. I wonder if you have to glue them together or whatever... I'll know friday.

Don't glue them together. They're made to come apart for easy storage and easy replacement. If the sticks' slot for the slate is a little loose and the slate does tend to fall off, just a length of paper tape is enough to keep them together.