sunset light

michael abraham

Hi chaps,

I am going to shoot a part of story that it's during the sunset in HD.

And one part of the story will be in the night.

Does anyone here have any experience emulating a sunset shooting?

If so, could you shed some light on how you did it?

And did it look real?

all the best

Michele

• Premium Member

Depends what you want, but... horizontal very orangey hard light.

Not tricky. It won't look right to the eye but with correct exposure choices it's not difficult to get right - at least, I've done it in a way I was happy with.

P

How, when and under what circumstances you will be attempting to emulate the sunset? Studio? On location?

If I recall correctly, the Oct 2007 issue of AC has an article by Rodrigo Prieto about Lust, Caution. They basically had to emulate a sunset during a scene that took place at roadside cafe, where the hard sunset light was hitting the interior of the cafe. That might be of some use.

Hi chaps,

it will be on location...landscape on background...this means whole day daylight(if is cloudy it will be better).

The problem is that during the story the light is changing gradually until reach the night(moonlight).

What I am thinking is how emulate this change...and especially with wide lens.

Post-production?

Thanks chaps!!!

Michele

• Premium Member

Well, you certainly know how to make your own life hard!

I once did a piece of timelapse - the standard clouds scudding past - during an afternoon, and turned it into an apparent sunset in postproduction by increasing contrast, decreasing brightness, and making it go a sort of orangey colour. It was quite effective, but then, all you could see was clouds and a bit of treeline. I'm not sure how well you could do that over a huge landscape without a lot of messing about.

P

Shoot at Magic Hour (which isn't an hour at all) with the brighter part of the post-Sunset to the right or left side of Frame. Cheat in a Hard Light Orange-ish Key from that side... get the scene done in a Oner!

Really thanks for your reply..

because the whole short movie is when the sun is almost set toward the night, how can I cheat it. I can't shoot in the sunset time only...I can't plane the production schedule only in that time..I need whole day...I am thinking how make this transition...

and I didn't tell you one thing...this is a stereoscopic project...so,we need time,rehearsal before shooting. I think it is something really ambitious, but not impossible...

Some advice? Give up? I am just joking!!

thanks

Michele

Why do you continue to double post? The instruction NOT to was VERY clear. Double posting is against the rules. Maybe you want to be kicked off (?).

Stay in the LIGHTING Category only! Believe me, the next person won't be as kind....

Whats "double posting"? Dont want to be yelled at..

No problem ;)

Double posting is posting the same questions/ responses in multiple Categories... fishing for more replies. The truth is you will always get the most and 'best' responses when posting in the proper Category.

Ahhh. I see.

BTW, I LOVED Pumpkinhead.