New Kodak 500T

Nah, the V3 5219/7219 is the replacement for the '18 stock as far as I know.

It's surprising that there's no mention of 18 on the Kodak site. I didn't think it would be discontinued so quickly, especially when 79 was still available so recently. I hadn't heard any rumblings about this. Well, hopefully this new stock will work out nicely.

• Premium Member

Well i think the idea is just that the '19 is essentially the same as the '18 just with more latitude and finer grain, so they say. The '79 is a much lower contrast/grainier stock than the '18 was, beautiful stock too I might add, to it stuck 'round for that reason. Or at least, that's how I've come to understand it.

Guest Stephen Murphy
The '79 is a much lower contrast/grainier stock than the '18 was,

I've always found find that 79 has a lot more contrast then 18 or 19:-)

If this new stock does indeed retain the contrast and colour saturation characteristics of 79 then i will be a very happy man.

• Premium Member

My mistake. I had found, in the few times I'd been 'round, seen the '79 a less contrasty image by which i mean a more gentle roll to black. though i may be totally mistaken on that as it's been awhile since i've seen it (and i've gotten quite used to '18)

That's good news. I was starting to think KODAK was hell bent on making future negative emulsions that lean toward flat lifeless colors. 5279 ( which is still available from KODAK until Janurary) DOES have more CONTRAST than 5218. I like it's grain better, it's more "organic" looking. 5219 pushed 1 stop has interesting contrast, also.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Produ...60/tech5260.htm

Just got an e mail from the big K to go to a demo of it up in NY. Of course I'll be in a color correction session, but figured I'd pass it on.

So this is what, 5279 saturation with 5218 grain structure from what I see on the description? I wonder what the contrast quality is like, if it's similar to 79? It could be a very interesting stock. I planned on using 79 for Blood Moon because I wanted the reds to really be shocking and the blacks to be dark and mysterious with the rest of our pallet to be vivid with a somewhat dreamlike or in this case, nightmare quality much they way Apocalypse Now had in it's night work, the beauty and vividly striking images of the play between light and darkness. I think I'll still stick with 79 because the graininess should help add to the un-realness of the piece but I would like to see some examples of 60 before I make an final decision just in case.

Adrian, could you be thinking of 5229 instead of 79, perhaps? Of course you probably already know it's a low saturation, low contrast film with an almost, for lack of a better word, muted or pastel like quality. That sounds more like what you're talking about at least to me. B)

This is what happens when I don't sleep and then go to a pub.

Well don't give up Adrian, You have to keep trying see with years of practice I've now managed to remember a full THIRD of the stuff my brain holds after staying up all night drinking. It's like a marathon runner, you have to train. Start small when attempting to remember things after an all night binge for example things like what fire hydrant you parked you car on top of after you drove to what you THOUGHT was your house or which girl you threw up on at the pub and exactly HOW many times you called the cop a wanker while you were taking you sobriety test. These little tidbits of information could become very important during the the sentencing portion of your trial, I know they were at mine well at least to the judge.......and, you know....the jury.......my parole officer..... the neighborhood decency league.......my boss and his wife (it was actually HIS house).......The zoo keeper (Don't ask but apparently trying to dance with a zebra is illegal) :rolleyes:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Wait, 5260 isn't just a typo? I thought someone had accidentally just typed in "5260" instead of the correct "5218" on the website, because when I tried to hit the link and check it out further, it looked like it just took me to the '18 page.

So it's a new V2 stock that is more like '79? Or like a higher-speed Vivid 160? So does this mean no more '18?

Anyone that *IS* doing a test of the three against one-another, could I have your waste at the end instead of just rolling it out?

I could post a nice 4-perf. cropped set of comparison samples here if I could roll some through a still camera.

Burros are still legal?

...or is that only in Tiajuana?

No, no that's only donkeys and I think that only applies to women......or am I thinking of something else, speaking of which, has anyone seen Clerks II. don't know why THAT particular movie came to mind. Oh did I also mention PETA was HIGHLY pissed as well. :blink: (oh and for our English friends Pissed meaning angry not drunk which is how we got in this situation in the first place.) :rolleyes:

Edited by James Steven Beverly