What shops have the Arri 6k scanner?

Guest Glen Alexander

Guest Glen Alexander
Where ? LA ? Thailand ? Eastern Europe ?

jb

since the number of people who could actually afford to scan at 6k is probably limited, anywhere.

i have one number from a lab here in LA $0.75/FRAME@6k, $0.50/FRAME@4k

so 20minutes is about 29000 frames, $22,000@6k, $15,000@4k

note per FRAME not foot

• Site Sponsor

I think some shops are running Arriscan's at around $1K / hour go by the specs for frame rate to calculate cost per frame or foot, roll etc. i.e. at 2k maybe its 4fps and 6k its 0.7 fps. Check my numbers with Arri's website to verify fps.

-Rob-

• Premium Member
I THINK Goldcrest has one. Not being up on the technology, it was my understanding that when I had my scan done, they did a 3K>2K scan and the option for 6K>4K was available.

Hey Mike, was your scan used on 2-perf material? If so, I'm curious as to how your selects were pulled. Were you able to read and log edge codes in the 2-perf format, or what?

Thanks.

Hey Mike, was your scan used on 2-perf material? If so, I'm curious as to how your selects were pulled. Were you able to read and log edge codes in the 2-perf format, or what?

Thanks.

Yes, Goldcrest scanned my 2 perf neg. Basically, what I did was edit the offline in DVCAM that was done direct to disk from Rob at Cinelab. I spit out a reference movie and handed over the negative, Final Cut Pro EDL and ref movie to goldcrest and the VERY patient scanner Chris did the scan. There were some instances where we struggled with frame accuracy, but with the generous addition of 3 second handles, we more than covered ourselves. Reconforming was actually pretty easy once I figured out what the heck I was doing. I just took my offline edit offline and reconnected each edit with the corresponding DPX stack.

Because of the unruly nature of DPX files, I am actually converting all my stacks to 10bit RGB LOG Kona files.

Guest Glen Alexander

Cinelab seems very expensive if their 35mm processing is .17/ft, you should be able to get processing for .10 to .14/f.

t

Guest Glen Alexander
Yes, Goldcrest scanned my 2 perf neg. Basically, what I did was edit the offline in DVCAM that was done direct to disk from Rob at Cinelab. I spit out a reference movie and handed over the negative, Final Cut Pro EDL and ref movie to goldcrest and the VERY patient scanner Chris did the scan. There were some instances where we struggled with frame accuracy, but with the generous addition of 3 second handles, we more than covered ourselves. Reconforming was actually pretty easy once I figured out what the heck I was doing. I just took my offline edit offline and reconnected each edit with the corresponding DPX stack.

Because of the unruly nature of DPX files, I am actually converting all my stacks to 10bit RGB LOG Kona files.

why didn't you go with SR?

what was cost?

Edited by Glen Alexander

Cinelab seems very expensive if their 35mm processing is .17/ft, you should be able to get processing for .10 to .14/f.

t

where did you get .17 for 35mm from? There website states .14 per foot for 35mm, .12 if the daily is done there, which Mike did have. So it seems to be right on where you said it should be.

Guest Glen Alexander
where did you get .17 for 35mm from? There website states .14 per foot for 35mm, .12 if the daily is done there, which Mike did have. So it seems to be right on where you said it should be.

http://www.cinelab.com/rates.php

today it shows 0.17ft for 16mm Color & B/W, and .14 for 35mm, i am the confident the rates were the same the other day when i looked but i could be mistaken.

• Site Sponsor
the .17 is for 16mm. You were looking for 35mm, which is .14 per foot, .12 if you do the daily there.

Sorry but the website is a little unclear about pricing, we are going to have our web girl change some of that. It is $0.14/ foot for 16mm and that drops to $0.12/foot over 1200' or if you do a daily, this includes video prep. We run 35mm B+W for $0.17 and 35mm Color for $0.12 / foot. which also includes prep for video. We also do not have a minimum for procesing only for print (200 feet) or video transfer ($75 for students/indies) so we think the pricing is on par with what you would get in LA and we also do deals for volume.

-Rob-