ARRI SRIII or 416

Lucas Arreguin

Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a 16mm film and would like to hear some opinions on some things. We have access to Kodak film and was wondering if anyone had suggestions that would be fun to play around with to fit the style of our film.

The basic premise is two agents who apprehend a liberal college professor who is the head of a "students for change" group. In a brutal and unorthodox interrogation the professor pays for his actions against the government.

It is a short film and only consist of two more scenes other than these. The film starts out at a run down gas station / night / raining/ where the professor is captured. We then move to a concrete room where he's being interrogated. These are the only two scenes I'd like some suggestions on. Anything from film stocks that could be fun to play around with to info about the SRIII or the 416. We are choosing between these two cameras. Anything is appreciated

• Premium Member

I can't really find a question besides what camera you should use....On a short film budget I don't see any reason for you to use the 416 instead of the SR3. The 416 will be more expensive and doesn't really do much that the SR3 doesn't. It's just newer.

If you have some specific questions about something else, you should ask them, otherwise you may not get much help.

I can't really find a question besides what camera you should use....On a short film budget I don't see any reason for you to use the 416 instead of the SR3. The 416 will be more expensive and doesn't really do much that the SR3 doesn't. It's just newer.

If you have some specific questions about something else, you should ask them, otherwise you may not get much help.

I remember reading here that some of the latest Zeiss lenses do not clear the viewfinder on the older SRII/ III cams. So it could also be a question of which lenses they are thinking of using.

I remember reading here that some of the latest Zeiss lenses do not clear the viewfinder on the older SRII/ III cams. So it could also be a question of which lenses they are thinking of using.

Do you mean that they are PL lenses that are so wide or large they do not clear the J bar or t bar when trying to mount one?

Best

Tim

• Premium Member

Yes. I have hear some will cause problems, on the SR with clearance as well as "impeding function," such as not being able to swivel the eyepiece as much as one would like. I think it was on the Master-Prime series of lenses, though I could be mistaken. The Ultra-Primes IIRC are fine (or I might have that reversed).

Why not consider an Aaton XTR or any of their Super 16 cams? You might be able to get a XTR with B/W tap and a Canon 8-64. Three or four mags. Probably less than an SR 2 or 3 equivalent. But special deals are made all the time. Perhaps your DP has their own kit and offers an incredible deal on it. Point being, there are many excellent choices out there and each will deliver excellent results. I would recommend renting from a good rental house, only because you are assured of minimal if any screw ups with equipment. If something does go wrong, they back you up.

The easiest all round stock out right now is the 7219. It is a 500T film with enormous dynamic latitude with very small sharp grain, considering it is a fast super 16mm frame. It might cost a bit more, but will yield the most modern of film stock. It you want a grainy version, try either the 7218 or 7229, the later of which is quite grainy, but in a nice way. Check our Half Nelson, it is a good example of the 29 put through a 2k DI. Do you only have a choice of Kodak stock? I understand that sometimes that is the case, but if is not then you should also check out Fuji. I can't recommend enough the Eterna 250T or D, they are fantastic stocks that love to be over exposed a whole stop. They also render really cool looking results under fluorescent lighting, which is cheap. Usually Fuji is about twenty percent cheaper than Kodak, if that matters. Test some of each under the conditions you will shoot in. Don't be affraid of black and white either. Black and white negative scanned as HD looks really cool. Lots of grain and great texture.

• Premium Member

True. I believe it's the S4's and Master Primes that have issues. But I wouldn't assume that a low budget short was even considering renting either of those lens sets....but who knows. I would think super or standard speeds would be more like it.