The strongest union in the UK?

• Premium Member
Dont waste your money joining BECTU , toothless , like all unions in post Thatcher Britain !! John .

I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time joining. There are some benefits to joining, like cheaper Public Liability Insurance, a host of free legal services, discounts etc etc etc.

An outside Public Liability Insurance will cost you more than the BECTU membership dues. They managed to get money out of some non payers for me in the past. Although they're nothing like the ACTT, that was a tough union to get into and you didn't get to work on many productions or ITV programmes unless you were a member.

• Premium Member

I'm in BECTU for the cheaper insurance; it's worth it for that alone, but they're also quite helpful in general.

It's a catch-22 situation. If unions become strong, you can't get in, but if they're weak, there's no point. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the US situation where the unions have become big money, thereby attracting scumbags, and appear to be little more than a protection racket.

P