Practical lights

Hello-

When setting up lighting on a set how do you keep practical lights from blowing out? Do you merely use low wattage lights or do you use something to knock it down a few stops?

Thanks,

Eugene

depends on the fixture. Dimmers, ND on the shades, white streaks and tips on headlights. Experiment.

Hello Eugene,

I used to work with a gaffer who used to carry a box of dry-coloured-hairspray. He used the blacks to dim the practicals or highlights, or used the red/blue to change the colours. It worked well (except for the smell). It was easy to wipe away when it was to much or not decently enough.

Try and test.

Good luck.

Onno

Guest Evan Pierre

A slightly less practical (haha) solution would be to raise the amount of ambient light in the scene and then stop down on your lens. That way you avoid having extreme levels of light and dark causing stuff to be blown out or go under.

This only applies to certain situations however. Usually i would just use a dimmer.

A slightly less practical (haha) solution would be to raise the amount of ambient light in the scene and then stop down on your lens. That way you avoid having extreme levels of light and dark causing stuff to be blown out or go under.

This only applies to certain situations however. Usually i would just use a dimmer.

The thing you have to remember is that stages get hot fast, even in low light levels. You generally pick or know the stop you will shoot and light around it and it's usually going to be on the wider end of the aperture. Indoors, sets are generally tight or small so you don't want a lot of depth of field because you are usually focusing on a person or a thing so the backgrounds go soft. Raising the ambiance just wouldn't be practical. I'm not saying this is always the case. You may want the background and foreground equally sharp.

250w 213 G.E

That's probably why. It's been a while for me so I'm going off a not so sharp memory but if memory serves me correctly I was probably using something between 75-150 watts. 250 watts gets pretty hot. Let that be a lesson. Don't use tape on a 250 watt practical. Unless you're bored of course. Then it's just for entertainment.

• Premium Member
Let that be a lesson. Don't use tape on a 250 watt practical. Unless you're bored of course. Then it's just for entertainment.

Or revenge! Give off the job of cleaning that off to pay someone back! :D

Cheers. Dave