Super 16 zooms

I was hoping to get some opinions on the quality of some of the current super 16 zoom lenses being used today. I have very little experience with these lenses and want to know what people are using and why.

I'm interested in hearing about Angenieux, Canon and Zeiss.

Thanks, Chris Hood

Still hoping to here from those out there shooting in the Super 16 format.

What's your opinion of the current zooms. Has anyone done any tests

on the popular brands. Any info would very much be appreciated.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris,

we use the canon 8-64mm zoom...and can't recommend it more highly, you can see some footage on www.bigness.co.uk...the canon was notably used on the running night scenes. I recently organised a showing on a big local cinema screen of some work which had only been transferred to digi beta ( ie not even HD ) and the footage quality was amazing...so needless to say shown on a TV it is spot on. We also showed footage from Mk1 superspeeds ...and again the quality was impeccable.

Hope this is of some help.

best

rob spence

I was hoping to get some opinions on the quality of some of the current super 16 zoom lenses being used today. I have very little experience with these lenses and want to know what people are using and why.

I'm interested in hearing about Angenieux, Canon and Zeiss.

Thanks, Chris Hood

the canon 6.6-66 is arguably the best super 16 zoom out available. Extremely sharp, with exceptional contrast. the 8-64 is no slouch either, I have used it many a time and am very pleased with the results. Sorry can't speak of the Zeiss or Angenieux

Edited by Chris Burke

• Premium Member

I've used all of the different Canon zooms and have like them all. We shot the whole feature "Dirty" on two 11.5-138mm zooms and it looked great. Have used the 8-64mm and 11-165mm on many projects and have been very impressed. They're all fairly lightweight and durable as well. I may not have used the 7-63mm, but I assume the quality is comparable to the rest of them.