100D reversal super 8 to come out this spring?

Chris Burke

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems Kodak still makes this E-6 film, which would probably be the smoothest candidate for Super 8:

KODAK EKTACHROME 160T Professional Film (EPT)

KODAK EKTACHROME 160T Professional Film is a medium-speed color transparency film featuring fine grain and high sharpness.

Color Balance: Tungsten

Primary Features:

160 speed

Tungsten balance

Primary Applications:

Used in variable tungsten light conditions

Fashion

Editorial

Corporate/Industrial

Process: Process E-6, by user or independent processing lab

Available in 135 and 120.

Then there's also this tungsten balanced film:

KODAK EKTACHROME 320T Professional Film (EPJ)

Use when the action level is high and the tungsten light level is low, or to meet difficult depth-of-field demands in indoor situations. Film images are sharp.

Color Balance: Tungsten

Primary Features:

320 speed

Tungsten balance

Primary Applications:

Used in low-light tungsten conditions

TV and motion picture studios

Stage performances

Sports

Medical

News events

Process: Process E-6, by user or independent processing lab

Available in 135 roll sizes

It says, btw, "TV and motion picture studios", I wonder what they mean by that - production stills photographers, or the dudes that buy 100' loads and shoot them in their Eyemos for a funny look? :)

Then finally, for "granular artistic applications" as Kodak calls it, we have:

KODAK EKTACHROME P1600 Professional Film (EPH)

Use this color transparency film for low-light-level photography, for action or sports photography, or in situations that call for high shutter speeds combined with small lens openings for good depth of field.

Film speed: EI P1600 (P=push process)

Color Balance: Daylight or electronic flash (color balance)

Primary Features:

Very high speed film (EI 1600)

Requires 2-stop push processing

Primary Applications:

Used in very low-light, fast action, or with long telephoto lenses

Granular artistic applications

Process: Process E-6P, by user or independent processing lab

Available in 135-36 size

I'd have to agree with George here. Instead of pushing some stupid 100D slide film from their "E" series which was originally only intended for special insertions in 35mm for a special look, Kodak should realize that tungsten is the preferred light source in cinematography and make any one of the standard Ektachrome emulsions George mentioned (or better yet ALL of them) available in 16mm and 8mm. As far as I have heard, Kodak does have another emulsion "5030" in the works for E6. I think it's an old designation for the still emulsion, but despite my stills background, I'm not sure which Ektachrom this is. I second the notion that K40 is still the best S8 film, although I can see using something like E100 7285 for night football slow motion, wher it is actually slightly faster than 7240 filtered for daylight-balanced light.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

• Premium Member
Kodak welcomes labs offering E-6 processing for motion picture films:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN031304_Q.pdf

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...1.4.4.6.4&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...4.6.4.6.4&lc=en

It makes it more likely that additional films and formats will be available for the E-6 process.  B)

The problem John is that in early 90's Kodak did a huge slash and burn campaign in which they regionalized much of their processing centers. Some higher ups at Kodak went out of their way to cut costs by increasing processing turnaround times just to show an illusional profit increase while pissing off millions of customers. Film Processors were destroyed, such as the incredible Kodachrome processor located in Hollywood up until the late 80's.

I mean which comes first, a kodachrome processing lab in Hollywood that processes to a standard that was common a ways back, or a magical increase in Kodachrome sales when all we have in the U.S. is Dwaynes to choose from?

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, Kodak Entertainment Imaging (Professional Motion Picture) can only influence the Kodak decisions affecting consumer processing labs, not make them. Motion picture products running through those consumer labs is a very tiny part of their business, and they make decisions based on their primary market. That is why Kodak welcomes additional processes (e.g., E-6, Super-8 ECN-2) and services (e.g., Super-8 telecine transfers) provided by professional motion picture laboratories:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...=0.1.4.13&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/....1.4.13.6&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...=0.1.4.15&lc=en

• Premium Member
Motion picture products running through those consumer labs is a very tiny part of their business, and they make decisions based on their primary market. 

But if a filmmaker could possibly have a 20-40 year career using filmmedia, then that small amount of super-8 filmmaking that made them aware of film actually transcends into larger amounts of 16mm and 35mm being shot, just as mini-dv is an incredible gateway to other video formats.

"If Super-8 can look this good, (a film newbie might think) then of course 16mm and 35mm are obvious choices down the road.: