100D reversal super 8 to come out this spring?

Chris Burke

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
I read on Friday that the new 100D color reversal Super 8 is due out this spring. Can anyone confirm this? Wonder how it will telecine?

;)

\

It could be a real neat alternative (ahem, but NOT a replacement!) to Kodachrome 40.

The extra two stops of sensitivity means it should work better than Kodachrome 40 in more contrasty locations and in more subdued lighting situations. I believe K-40 can look pretty much grain free with the proper transfer, I doubt this 100 will achieve this but probaby will look very acceptable.

I'm assuming it will have finer less noticeable grain then even the lower ASA negative super-8 stocks that Pro-8mm sells.

• Premium Member
Who is putting out this new color reversal film?  :blink:  Just wondering as I havn't heard anything about it until just now.

I have NOT heard anything about this yet. It is already available in both 35mm and 16mm:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN031304_Q.pdf

Much would depend on how many labs are willing gear up to have an E-6 process for Super-8.

• Premium Member
I have NOT heard anything about this yet.  It is already available in both 35mm and 16mm:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN031304_Q.pdf

Much would depend on how many labs are willing gear up to have an E-6 process for Super-8.

I think E-6 would be very popular because it is considered a "do it yourself" type of processing. (although I would always take mine to a lab).

I heard it on some European website. I am trying to find out which one, but can't seem to remember. Either in NE or UK. It probably willl come out in Europe first as did the 7274, 7217 and 7218. In any case, I welcome the 100D, I will put it to great use.

• Premium Member
I heard it on some European website. I am trying to find out which one, but can't seem to remember. Either in NE or UK.  It probably willl come out in Europe first as did the 7274, 7217 and 7218. In any case, I welcome the 100D, I will put it to great use.

I work for Kodak, and have NOT heard any announcement yet. Only that Kodak is exploring the possibility.

This should be obvious, but...

If you hear something on some website, and you hear just the opposite from John Plytak, guess which info is correct?

Personally, if I'm gonna hassle with the limitations of reversal in Super 8, I'm gonna want to shoot Kodachrome 40.

Any other stock in S8 (especially reversal) is going to be much too grainy for my tastes.

Matt Pacini

You may want to check this out. It is from a reliable source. We have seen recently that Kodak Officials do not know what is going on within Kodak - that is with both the Vision 2 500T & Vision 2 200T for Super8 which apparently was released in Europe before Kodak Officials in USA even "knew" it existed - for some reason.

Ektachrome 100D set to arrive in Super8......

I read today, in the weekly newsletter from the Widescreen Centre:

JAKES PROGRESS

Says Jake: ?Apropos of my recent piece about Kodak 7240 VNF film stock.  Processing of this film will continue right up to the end of March 2005, so it would be advisable to shoot any stocks that you have in hand prior to that date.

Kodak are replacing this with, for the first time ever, a daylight balanced Super-8 stock with a rating of 100 ISO/ASA which I predict will prove extremely popular.

Jake?

Jake Astbury

So it sounds as though the new E6 process Ektachrome 100D is on its way to us in super8 cartridges - I can't think of any other stock that fits this description.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/16mm/pro...1.4.5.6.4&lc=en

Sounds interesting.

Matt

R

• Premium Member
We have seen recently that Kodak Officials do not know what is going on within Kodak - that is with both the Vision 2 500T & Vision 2 200T for Super8 which apparently was released in Europe before Kodak Officials in USA even "knew" it existed - for some reason.

As I wrote before, I know the business case for providing E-6 films in Super-8 is being evaluated, but that decision has NOT been made. As I noted, much depends on the willingness of labs to gear-up for E-6 in cine processors, which is not always a "drop in" for old VNF-1 machines.

Product changes are not "OFFICIAL" until they're posted here on the Kodak website:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

Until it is posted on the Kodak website, at best you can treat it as a rumor, at worst it is untrue and misleading. <_<

I may not know every trade test that is underway somewhere in the world, but I DO know when a new product is announced. :P

Still the new 500 & 200 were out in Europe before anyone at Kodak USA could confirm it even existed - which is correct and true and to my memory your info or comments on this was not avail before long after it was avaiable in Europe and that was well before it was released in USA.

The same European sources who reported about the new 200 & 500 and showed up to be 100% relieable except for some delay in the release date now reports about the 100D.

Anyway, I agree that you should be the first to know - maybe you should do some research of your own - it may be in the pre-progress evaluation somewhere within the Kodak group. Someone within Kodak have to know something about it. Otherwise this info would not have surfaced.

Rumor or not.

The 100D is no big deal to me personally as the K40 is the best S8 filmstock deal it is possible to get here in Europe with the processing paid / logistics included.

What is a loss to me though is the discontuage of the VNF 7240. But I understand that Kodak have their resons to end it and unfortunately the 100D is not valid as a replacement for it.

Anyway, I suggest you to do some 100D research within your group and possibly contact Kodak UK which most likly is the source of this "rumour".

If it after all is only a rumor it is better to stop it asap.

R

• Premium Member
What is a loss to me though is the discontuage of the VNF 7240. But I understand that Kodak have their resons to end it and unfortunately the 100D is not valid as a replacement for it.

But Ektachrome 100D is a significantly better film stock than 7240! Finally you have something in the same quality league as K40 in color reversal.

Well John, look at it this way:

Your customers are all drooling over a rumor of the possibility of the film stock.

Even if the product is just in the evaluation stage, there is clearly a demand forming for it. I know that I will be one of the first to order some the day it comes out.

Well John, look at it this way:

Your customers are all drooling over a rumor of the possibility of the film stock.

Kodak isn't interested in drooling.

They're interested in people spending money.

Honestly, I can't imagine that the user base for S8 is enough to cause a giantic company like Kodak to do something they wouldn't otherwise think is good business.

All Super 8 shooters should be thankful with whatever stock Kodak gives us, without any hints of whining, or suggesting some sort of conspiracy of silence.

After all, they have a monopoly on S8 film stock!

Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Matt Pacini

After all, they have a monopoly on S8 film stock!

Matt Pacini

Exactly, so there is no need for secretcy on these issues because the filmstocks themselves has been known for a long time.

But Ektachrome 100D is a significantly better film stock than 7240!  Finally you have something in the same quality league as K40 in color reversal.

The VNF films are old old film technology. anything new would be an improvement.

Done right the VNF 7240 was a fabolous stock an had the right characteristics being a tungsten balanced film. Allthough the 100D film surely is a nice stock it will be somewhat awkward for S8 use as the K40 surely works fine in daylight while there are no high speed "T" reversals available for tungsten jobs anymore. That is a real problem not solved by the 100D.

Example on VNF7240 S8 performance:

Modified frame: Click the image to see a full rez image.

Paul_photo.jpg

R

Edited by S8 Booster

More from: http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/neu/news.php

Not excactly "Rumours".

Herr Draser, Inhaber von Andec Filmtechnik, Berlin (www.andecfilm.de), DEM Kopierwerk für alle Laborleistungen rund um den Schmalfilm teilt mit:

"Das neue Umkehrmaterial in S8 und 16 mm wird erst ca. Mai/Juni 2005 auf den Markt kommen. Dies ist eine relativ bestätigte Aussage. Wir werden die VNF - Entwicklung demnach wahrscheinlich erst Richtung Ende März 2005 stillegen."

Die bisherige Situation legte ein Ende der Ektachrome-Entwicklung bei Andec bereits zum Ende des Jahres 2004 nahe. Nun bleibt allen Ektachrome-Filmern noch ein wenig Luft, das gebunkerte Filmmaterial "in time" abzudrehen und zur Entwicklung nach Berlin einzusenden.

Zum Thema "KODAK baut weiter um" und "neues Umkehrmaterial in S8 und 16 mm" lesen Sie bitte unseren Beitrag vom 05.05.2004 auf dieser Seite.

Quasi translation from Altavisa:

In English:

Mr. Draser, Inhaber von Andec film technology, Berlin (www.andecfilm.de), the kopierwerk for all laboratory achievements around the narrow film divides approximately with: "The new reversal material in S8 and 16 mm becomes only approx. May/June 2005 on the market come. This is a relatively confirmed statement.

We will the VNF - development therefore probably only direction at the end of March 2005 end."  The past situation already suggested an end of the Ektachrome development with Andec for the end of the yearly 2004. Now, remains for all Ektachrome Filmern still little air, which time" loaded hoppers filmmaterial "in; to turn off and for development to Berlin send in.  To the topic "KODAK builds further um" and "neues reversal material in S8 and 16 mm" read please our contribution of 05.05.2004 on this side.

R

I think E-6 Super 8 is the way to go, definitely. If the cost is competitive to the old VNF-1 Ekta it would really help the format. Kodak has already released a few S8 stocks that fall outside of the ISO rating of the cartridge system of most cameras, and it seems to be doing okay.

I'd really be tempted to process my own E-6 Super 8 (given a decent spiral processing tank). The Besseler 4 step CS6 kit would actually work out well with it - developer, color developer, bleach-fix, and stabilizer. 1 50ft cart. of S8 = 2.5 rolls 35mm 36 exp. capacity wise.

- G.