people's profile

Laurent Andrieux

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I've changed my signature so that my full name appears (though I considered that the link to my IMDB's page showing my name, I didn't have to but it is even more clear like that).

I don't consider that the last item in the profile on the left here shows the aspiration of someone, but its actual profession.

I don't think it is because you are dping a short at one time or have done before that you can consider your self as a dp in general (it is actually exactly my case, as I have been dping corporates, magazines, TV sets and shorts (that don't appear in IMDB)).

But seriously, if one is only a student and aspires to be one day a DP or whatever, I don't think it's honnest to put "DP" or whatever he wants to be as a professionnal profile.

• Premium Member

(Sorry, don't know why I couldn't edit the previous post... just wanted to add :)

I am not talking about people who are Dop or even doing the job Jason described (I know perfectly well what he's talking about, I have been in the same situations, as I also worked as a Photo assistant, doing the light that somebody else will sign...) and don't think you have to be ASC to be a DOP, I'm just talking about wannabes....

• Premium Member

I agree with David. People should use their real names so we know who we are talking to. In fact I think it is quite stupid not to use your real name (unless you have something to hide), after all posting valuable information on this forum raises your public profile and might lead people to hire you/work with you.

I sometimes do searches for people's names (like on imdb.com for instance) to see what work they have done. If peple are not using their real name then that automatically reflects badly on the value of their posts, since I have no idea who is providing this information and how reliable it is.

I prefer to know who I am talking to, especially if they are a professional. You can't form a true community if you don't trust each other enough to use your real names!

My point was that it's not that I would'nt trust you and the people on this board but I don't trust the internet anymore...

Anyway, for the record: I made my diploma at an Media Art Academy half a year ago and I am working as a freelance compositor (flame/inferno)

At the same time I slowly try to get into the digital color grading world (because I used to do (and enjoy) this alot during my study too).

One of my first works on this, back from 2001 was the students shortmovie "Schlorkbabies an der Raststaette" (that's the german title) which won best students HD project and best cinematography in a short at the HDFest 2002 and was nominated for german camera price.

Worked in post on a few HD projects (including Sokurovs "Russian Ark") and I quite like the medium (despite all it's problems). My diploma project was shot with the viper.

Anyway, I hope I can give you back at least something for all the great input I got here.

greetings and happy new year

Kai

I think people are missing the point here. If you want to call yourself a DP call yourself a DP. But realize that this is a pretty experienced bunch of folks here. If you start asking questions or giving answers that show you don?t have the slightest idea what you are talking about you will very quickly loose your credibility.

• Premium Member
I thought the categories were more used to display the focus of the person (DOP, loader, grip, lighting, digital, etc.) and not so much to express the skill level

No, fellow, it says "primary job"

only a bloody frenchman to meantion about those dumb teenage WANNA BE DP's, that hurts man, it really does :rolleyes: . So what, I'm 17,

I was not thinking of you Allen, you put "1st AC" and say you have been pulling focus on many shots, well, you seem to be clever enough to be able to consider that what you 've written is true, I don't deny this at any time...

"

I was not thinking of you Allen, you put "1st AC" and say you have been pulling focus on many shots, well, you seem to be clever enough to be able to consider that what you 've written is true, I don't deny this at any time...

I've pulled more shows than I've shot, and normally when I get called down for a Super16 or a 35 show, I come on as a First, so I would say at the moment that is my Primary job. But I am still at a very low level of experience and ability im sure as opposed to you Laurent.

• Premium Member

The question of experience is really another thread, I think. It's like the asked question "at what point can somebody be considered as a DP ?". I'm really not into this "trying to count points or proposing to evaluate the skill" from experience. Everybody's experience is unique. I just wanted to point out that some people put "dp " or "director of production" and have actually nearly no experience at all of such jobs, and are actually only students or wannabes....

• Premium Member

The title thing is not meant to be exclusive or to pigeonhole anyone, but instead to help give a fairly accurate picture of who you are and what you do.

So any "qualifiers" you want to throw in to your signature are helpful to the rest of us, like "student cinematographer," or "AFI cinematography fellow" or "documentary filmmaker" or whatever.

The "profile" section only allows one "primary job" entry, and "student" is one option (for those that pertains to). But you can add more info to your signature line, and there's additional profile space for elaboration if you feel it's relavant. It's all in the interest of helping us all get to know each other.

• Premium Member

Exacttly, Michael, that's the point. I'm happy to see that other people here agree with my proposition (Christopher, Bob, David S.) and I consider Annie is very humble about herself.

You know, on the other hand, I know people who have been 2nd for years, pulling focus on shorts (s16, 35) and don't want to pretend they are 1st AC... I personnaly rekon they are, it's really not the "pigeonhole" I'm into...

• Premium Member

I'm in agreement with the majority here in regard to using real names as well as being truthful in your signature line. I've been frustrated with this before and I've posted about it before as well.

As far as the "when do you call yourself a DP/1st/operator/etc..." question: I think you'll know when you are. That sounds simplistic, but I think it's a pretty simple thing. One clue might be that people refer to you as a certain title. Another clue might be that that's what you do! :P If you're unsure whether you're a DP or not then you're probably not....at least not in a true professional sense. I don't say that to be rude, but I think it's true. Of course a student DP is still a DP, but they're a student because they are learning to be a DP. I call myself a camera/steadicam operator because that's my main source of income. Sure, I shoot sometimes, but it's not my primary profession so I don't call myself a DP, although I've been paid to do it. Could I call myself a DP? Sure I could, and it would be truthful, but it's not my primary expertise, so I don't.

I think I've blabbed about this enough. I think the majority of people that use this forum have every intention of being honest and aren't trying to fool themselves. It's only a few that are obviously full of s***.....and it's obvious anyway, so it's not too big a worry.

Edited by grimmett

I'm in agreement with the majority here in regard to using real names as well as being truthful in your signature line.  I've been frustrated with this before and I've posted about it before as well.

As far as the "when do you call yourself a DP/1st/operator/etc..." question:  I think you'll know when you are.  That sounds simplistic, but I think it's a pretty simple thing.  One clue might be that people refer to you as a certain title.  Another clue might be that that's what you do! :P  If you're unsure whether you're a DP or not then you're probably not....at least not in a true professional sense.  I don't say that to be rude, but I think it's true.  Of course a student DP is still a DP, but they're a student because they are learning to be a DP.  I call myself a camera/steadicam operator because that's my main source of income.  Sure, I shoot sometimes, but it's not my primary profession so I don't call myself a DP, although I've been paid to do it.  Could I call myself a DP?  Sure I could, and it would be truthful, but it's not my primary expertise, so I don't.

I think I've blabbed about this enough.  I think the majority of people that use this forum have every intention of being honest and aren't trying to fool themselves.  It's only a few that are obviously full of s***.....and it's obvious anyway, so it's not too big a worry.

Well put man. I agree. thats why I changed my profession thing to a 1st, because its what I know best and its what I'm refered to as most of the time. In the professional world, I am a First AC, in the non professional shoots I DP. non professional meaning like, low budget High school to College films. so I'm a first AC training and learning the awesome life of bein a DP. which I enjoy a good amount more than being a 1st AC.

Bottoms up Gentlemen, its new years!

• Premium Member

I think I've "blabbed" enough on this too. Hope this thread wasn't that useless, thought I think it was making a big fuss about not much anyway.

As I said to Jeff, it's also me learning how to use these forums. Now I'll read profiles with another "eye".

Happy new year everybody, let's hope this year makes us see wannabes becoming real Dp's !

Regards,

My profile reads "STUDENT" and even THAT makes me guilty for stretching the truth! :D

I know exactly what Laurent is on about though and like everyone else here we can see through the D-faux-Ps.

As far as the DP Title thing, you have to remember, that people put their descriptions in when they first sign up for the website.

So they're thinking "in the context of this forum", (which is normal for most boards), possibly having just spent a few minutes on the board.

But I must admit, it's pretty annoying and ridiculous, when you read like 30 posts from someone talking like they're an expert, arguing technical issues with John Plytak or David Mullen, then they post a question something like "what does it mean when someone says "film lattitude?".

It's also irritating that people use fake names, and some of these same people's attitudes show that they feel safe and annonymous, and therefore safe to make the most rude and inflammatory remarks that cause big fights on this board.

Matt Pacini

Edited by Matt Pacini

• Premium Member
As far as the DP Title thing, you have to remember, that people put their descriptions in when they first sign up for the website.

So they're thinking "in the context of this forum", (which is normal for most boards), possibly having just spent a few minutes on the board.

Having said that, it is kind of irritating that people use fake names, and also, some of these same people's attitudes show that they feel safe and annonymous, and therefore safe to make the most rude and inflammatory remarks that cause big fights on this board.

Matt Pacini

Name them ! :lol: