Aaton35-III

Jayson Crothers

• Premium Member

I have a S35 short coming up that I'm looking to shoot 3-perf; great deal of car work and a healthy dose of handheld work. I have a very fair offer on renting an Aaton35-III and am wondering if anyone can offer their thoughts on it in practical production situations. I'd be looking at using it as our A camera, so considerations of noise, ease of use, troubleshooting, etc. I have a feature coming later in the year that's considering 35 and so this may also be a test run for the camera on that.

Thanks everyone!

its a really great camera, pending kit of course, get an assist who has handled the mag loading though, thats important. there was a very long thread on this topic a while back, either in the cinematographers forum or on the pop2 site, it went nicely in to detail. Seek and thee shall find.

• Premium Member

My main concern for shooting with the Aaton 35-III would be the noise level. This is not really a sync sound camera. Apparently the 3 Perf version is a bit quieter, but still. Shooting in such a small, confined space like a car you are going to hear the camera. You might want to try a barney, but even with that you are never going to cut the noise level down to that of an Arricam LT or a Millenium XL (or XL2) which would be my cameras of choice if I had to pick a lightweight camera as main camera.

• Premium Member

Its a great camera though it has its ups and downs. It's not quite the XTRprod of the 35mm world, and I think JP sacrificed sound a bit to find a more 'beautiful' movement, but it is still a workhorse, light and has a low power draw. It's not the quietest, but the difference can be negligable in most situations. If you'd like to know more talk to Jordan at our LA office, he is sort of evolving into our main 35-III guy.

I'd really like to see them make a 35 for more generasl use. Heck I'd also like them to find a way into the video/HD market. *shrugs*

regards,

nathan