Day for Night Interior

Jeff Kolada

So I might be getting myself into a tight space here, but here's the situation.

We're very likely shooting in a home where a family lives. They are letting us shoot there for free, but the problem lies in that they have kids, and would not want us shooting past 10pm (on school nights).

Ignore everything about finding other locations, shooting on the weekends, etc.

The house has large storm windows which would block all outside light coming in, and in the event that some leaks in we have blackwrap and other materials to completely black out the room. My current problem is that I would want a hard moonlight coming through the windows. Through the windows that are blocked by storm plates. (I'll upload some pictures of the location shortly)

My first thought is to use mirrors, bounce a hard light down from the interior ceiling to keep the hard light. This way I might even be able to see the curtains.

My second thought is to use floursecent tubes behind the curtains of the windows. It would be a much softer light, but because they're so thin we could hide more of them a lot easier.

Thoughts?

Typically, my first response would be if the location isn't right can one find another location. Using a location that has limitations placed upon filmmakers from the get go, can always be troublesome.

So if you have to use that location you have to figure out what you can do with the resources you have meaning money manpower and equipment. If you have to shoot during the day you may want to build a tent so that you may use a light and the existing windows. If you can't build a tent, then maybe you can black out the windows and perhaps create a source from inside the room from an imaginary window. Your idea to use a mirror is a good thought to that end. But you may have to compromise your coverage or shooting, utilizing tighter shots that you expected. Maybe you can try and shoot it with just practicals and no moonlight effect.

You can try a fresnel into your mirror or even a leko. You could try the leko without a mirror too.

Or go back to the original question and ask if this is the right location for your job. sometimes it takes the DP or production designer, or an AD to say the location isn't right.

Best and good luck

Tim

Edited by timHealy

here are a couple panoramics of the main room in question.

Because the windows have those translucent curtains, I'm thinking more and more about the florescent idea.

And I'm asking this question partially as a practical question, bus also partially hypothetically. I'm interested in how different people would approach this situation if they were forced into it.

Like I said, we are not 100% on this location by any means, but it is free, close, and has the style that we are looking for.

housepana01sml.jpg

housepana02sml.jpg

Looks like a nice location. I would tent out the windows so that you could use lights from outside for your moonlight effect. But depends how many shots you have. If there is a lot of coverage and you are seeing all around the room, I would tent the windows. If you have a few shots maybe you could black out the windows, but I think you are limiting your choices. Even if the windows are in the background it may be nice to have a moonlight effect on them broken up with a branch or cookie.

I wouldn't use fluoros at the widow. It'll look like soft daylight.

But it all depends on what you have in mind.

Looks like a nice location. I would tent out the windows so that you could use lights from outside for your moonlight effect. But depends how many shots you have. If there is a lot of coverage and you are seeing all around the room, I would tent the windows. If you have a few shots maybe you could black out the windows, but I think you are limiting your choices. Even if the windows are in the background it may be nice to have a moonlight effect on them broken up with a branch or cookie.

I wouldn't use fluoros at the widow. It'll look like soft daylight.

But it all depends on what you have in mind.

I also would tent the windows. This is the ground floor, correct? Use 4x4 floppies and lots of duvytene.

when you say "tent out". Do you mean setting a light outside making a tent around it to the window blocking the daylight?

• Premium Member
Just a thought of my own, what about ND on the windows? Uncorrected, let them go blue, and ND the hell out of them, though in reality a tent is most effective.

If the windows are north facing and the curtains are to be closed, this would be a realistic solution and a pretty easy one.

It looks like those windows should tent easily if it's the ground floor. Tabletop a 12x over the double windows and an 8x over the single window and then make walls out of scrap duve held with grip clips.

Just a thought of my own, what about ND on the windows? Uncorrected, let them go blue, and ND the hell out of them, though in reality a tent is most effective.

Good suggestion Adrian, but that will eat up at lot of ND9. If this is a low or no budget shoot, the cost of materials for tenting the windows is probably out of the question as well. If the O.P. is thinking of using big blue tarps for tents, that won't work very well and the plastic is flammable.

This is a really good idea, and I will see what I can do about it. On that note, anyone have a few rolls of ND they want to donate? haha.

Oh, and @Chris, the windows are actually facing north, and the translucent curtains pictured will be how they are. So it could work really well.

I don't actually think either of these options are completely out of our budget. After some talks with the director and producers the cost of a different location versus the costs of blacking out the windows will probably end up working out.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas, and I plan on testing both before we go into production. I'll post back up here with results.

-Jeff