mumping in anamorphic lenses

Hi,

Can anybody explain the mumping of anamorphic lenses how it actually occurs on a elemental level, and how one avoids it.How well does the anti mumping in the newer g series lenses work.

thanks,

jason West

• Premium Member
I thought the mumps (a problem with the Cinemascope lenses) had been more or less sorted with the Panavision lenses in the 1960s. Here's one explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScope

The problem was always exaggerated by Panavision to sell their lenses over B&L CinemaScope lenses, but it actually existed... basically the squeeze ratio dropped off as you focused closer, but the unsqueezing was a constant 2X in movie theaters, so the net result was that close-ups looked "fat". Panavision basically moved the problem off of the in-focus area and into the out-of-focus area... which now get too much of a squeeze as you focus closer, but the subject remains the correct squeeze, hence why out of focus lights become vertical ovals in anamorphic shots.

But there is a bit of a slippery slope in that regards and I've noticed that occasionally faces look like they have the wrong squeeze to them, but it could be just that the focus is slightly off.

You see the stretched background here in this frame:

anamorphicbokeh1.jpg

On the original negative, it would look like this. You see basically that the background is over-squeezed, more than 2X, so it still looks skinny when unsqueezed:

anamorphicbokeh2.jpg

hi,

thamnks for the answers,

I also had not heard of mumping until recently whilst reading panavisions literature on the G-series, where on page two it specifically says "the lenses utilize panavisions patented anti-mumping technology" sounds like something new to me not something that was eradicated in the 1960's.it goes on to say there is no "hump" in the gear set, so the lenses maintain their cylindrical profile , any offers on how this works.

hi,

thamnks for the answers,

I also had not heard of mumping until recently whilst reading panavisions literature on the G-series, where on page two it specifically says "the lenses utilize panavisions patented anti-mumping technology" sounds like something new to me not something that was eradicated in the 1960's.it goes on to say there is no "hump" in the gear set, so the lenses maintain their cylindrical profile , any offers on how this works.

Reading that section, I've a feeling the "hump" may be a bump on the lens casing that housed the gears in the earlier lenses, but this is no longer there on the G series.

I'm not sure if this is the patent involved (perhaps bought by Panavision), but quickly scanning through, it does seem to address the "mump" issue:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2890622.pdf