Super 8 100D from Kodak News

andy oliver

Hi, noticed this on filmshooting.com, and its no April fools joke, announcement is Tuesday 6th April http://www.schmalfilm-online.de/news/Sensa...uper+8+Film/175

Fingers crossed its no joke....

My understanding is that Kodak have discontinued the 35mm slide film from which E64T is made. It would make sense if Kodak were to replace it with 100D. It would help to unify their line for reversal too making it more viable.

It's great to see Kodak making such a clear statement of their support for S8 in this way tho!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

My understanding is that Kodak have discontinued the 35mm slide film from which E64T is made. It would make sense if Kodak were to replace it with 100D. It would help to unify their line for reversal too making it more viable.

As for my opinion, 200T with E6 process, can be better.

100D very good film, but, comfortable for daylight shooting only.

If you will shoot at tungsten light indoor place, you need set 80 filter and will have 24ASA speed only.

24 ASA very small speed for indoor shots.

From other side, the many Super 8 cameras have 85 filters inside and 200 T for tungsten and 125 D for daylight with 85 filter can be comfortable.

Any case, we will be happy to have S8 100D fiilm.

• Premium Member

If you will shoot at tungsten light indoor place, you need set 80 filter and will have 24ASA speed only.

From other side, the many Super 8 cameras have 85 filters inside and 200 T for tungsten and 125 D for daylight with 85 filter can be comfortable.

The idea is to have a low enough ASA for outdoors. I guess 125 versus 100 is not that different but that still might be a critical difference in bright daylight shooting when the f-stop is hovering around f-16 to f-22.

This is great news. I have shot this stock in 16mm and I like the colors. However, I will miss 64Ts neutral palate and Tungsten balance for greater flexibility. To go from D to T you loose like 2 stops. To go from T to D you only loose 2/3rds of a stop. Also, to shoot in strong sun we will probably need to add a ND filter.

Chris Maness

For crap's sake, this is terrible news, how can you guys take it so lightly? Hell, this kind of film stock seems suited to the super8 conventions worse than a K3 to sound shooting, 100? What's the camera supposed to do with that, read it as 160? That's 2/3rds underexposed, at least when overexposing &4t it would look passable, but the underexposing makes the automatic exposure effectively useless, and low-light shooting without an external meter impossible. And then daylight? Are you kidding? So we basically have a free filter for tungsten film in daylight, hell what film system by default allows you to shoot indoors and outdoors, without any filters or nothing? And that option is gone as well and the internal thus a gratuitous source of trouble. Oh, and you have to get an expensive filter for indoor shooting. At 25ASA. Wasn't the old Kodachrome (K-II iirc) 25ASA? I mean, I like the look of the 100D just as much as the next guy, but this move has basically killed even more of the practicalities of shooting super8: Having an (optionally automatic) meter and not having to worry about the film being T or D. I've seen 100D in 16mm, but I wonder if the grain will hold up in Super8. I guess the only positive thing is to see that kodak at least keeps up production of one color reversal film in Super8. It seems like it's only a matter of time until Kodak ceases all reversal film production and Super8 is left with no filmstock...

• Premium Member

The Vision 200T is an excellent indoor film. The primary "drawback" is those who love to project their films will first have to transfer them to video and then use DVD technology to view their works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I would love to see that Vision3 250D in Super 8. It's wonderful in 16mm. Or maybe 50D...

Ektachrome 100D is almost too sensitive for middle of the day shooting, so it would seem to me that 250 D would not a good choice other than for late afternoon or early morning shooting.

I have not had any personal experience shooting 250D other than what others who know the stock have told me. I have heard that Vision 250D has a relatively short shelf life. I don't know how short, but apparently one of the colors starts to disappear, or it becomes one color dominant after it expires.