hear of magazine: British Cinematographer?

warchild

• Premium Member

I believe there was a magazine called "British Cinematographer" -- I seem to recall looking throug some 1950's issues at the USC library. For all I know, the BSC now only has a private newsletter, I don't know.

There is the BKSTS Journal (Image Technology), the U.K. version of SMPTE, and there is or was the U.K. camera union journal "Eyepiece" which seems to have temporarily stopped publishing. It may be back or maybe it's been renamed... maybe even to "British Cinematographer"? I sort of doubt it -- isn't the word "British" and "English" now generally avoided when it might have to cover Irish and Scottish persons as well?

• Premium Member

Hi,

> isn't the word "British" and "English" now generally avoided when it might have

> to cover Irish and Scottish persons as well

Don't upset the Welsh, either, or they'll send the dragon round. And don't upset Irish people from Eire, or they'll generally kneecap you with a surplus AK-47.

Theoretically, "British" would cover everyone who's from England, Wales, Scotland or, controversially, Northern Ireland, although you're liable to find a large proportion of people there who object strenuously to the idea. "English" is just people from England (as separate from Scotland, Wales, or wherever.)

I'm sure you now understand the attractiveness of the phrase "I'm from the UK," or more to the point "I'm from the UK, but now I live in -" followed by the name of your much more attractive adopted country, this being almost anywhere else.

Yes, this is boring, pointless and stupid; exactly as stupid as someone from eastern California insisting on being referred to as a Californian, and objecting if you thought they were from western Nevada. This becomes particularly enervating when you figure in the Welsh, and imagine that our hypothetical Californian has a strange, sub-dialect of Martian spoken only by others of his clan, into which he will switch at a moment's notice just to make the political point as to where he's from. Among his local friends he will of course continue to speak English as it's five times faster.

Keep this going for a few years and you can quickly generate a political situation in which the 2,900,000 people of Wales can quite seriously raise a political standard for the idea of creating their region as an independent country. Frankly I'm quite happy about this so long as while Plaid Cymru are raising the machine-gun posts and barbed-wire entanglements along the border, we can negotiate continued supplies of heraldic dragons.

And no, I'm not in the tiniest bit serious.

Phil

"British Cinematographer" is a recent publication from the Guild of British Camera Technicians. Have a look at their website, www.gbct.org. There have being 6 issues to date. They are based at Panavision, Greenford in London. GBCT-Address is C/o Panavision UK, Metropolitan Centre, Bristol Road, Greenford, Middlesex, UB6 8GD, UK. The office number is +44 208 813 1999.

• Premium Member

Actually British doesn't cover Northern Ireland to my knowledge. Britain (please note I left off the great voluntarily) covers England Scotland and Wales.

Northern Ireland is covered by United Kingdom.

I could be wrong, it?s a long time since

a. I was at school

b. Anyone cared

The Guild of British Camea Technicians?.. I joined at the first meeting at Pinewood - wasn't aware they were still in existance.

Eyepiece was indeed the Guilds magazine - not the Union (BECTU)

Phil....you're corrupting me... :lol:

• 7 months later...

I'm sure I remember reading quotes from 1981 by Freddie Francis on SuperX b/w film for The Elephant Man that cited British Cinematographer Magazine.

• 2 years later...
This becomes particularly enervating when you figure in the Welsh, and imagine that our hypothetical Californian has a strange, sub-dialect of Martian spoken only by others of his clan, into which he will switch at a moment's notice just to make the political point as to where he's from. Among his local friends he will of course continue to speak English as it's five times faster.

Keep this going for a few years and you can quickly generate a political situation in which the 2,900,000 people of Wales can quite seriously raise a political standard for the idea of creating their region as an independent country. Frankly I'm quite happy about this so long as while Plaid Cymru are raising the machine-gun posts and barbed-wire entanglements along the border, we can negotiate continued supplies of heraldic dragons.

And no, I'm not in the tiniest bit serious.

Phil

It's always really annoying when people with an ancient culture and language attempt to hold on to it, isn't it? Why can't they just speak English instead of their own language? They're just doing it to make a point you know, bloody Welsh, how dare they not be English?!

Not serious. Not English.

;)

• Premium Member

A lot of weird information in this thread.

Yes, there most certainly is a magazine called British Cinematographer. It's a pretty good read if you want to keep on top of which films are being done around here. They have a nice segment where all the agents for DP's kind of say what their members are shooting at the moment, which is fun info.

The magazine is published jointly by the Guild of British Camera Technicians and the BSC. The office is based at Pinweood studios (the BSC club house, no doubt) and subscriptions can be had from this site:

http://www.britishcinematographer.co.uk/

The email address given on the site bounces, unfortunately. So it's better to send an email directly to Alan Lowne - his email can be found in the pdf-file of the downloadable magazine at the above site.