Updated Canon repair site

Gareth Blackstock

G'day,

I have just updated my site to include some details on repairing the Canon 1218 camera, as well as the 814 and 1014. http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/

I have also updated my main site concerning details of Super8 stock purchase, process and transfer in Australia and New Zealand. http://mishkin.yolasite.com/

I hope the links are handy,

cheers

• Premium Member
G'day,

I have just updated my site to include some details on repairing the Canon 1218 camera, as well as the 814 and 1014. http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/

I have also updated my main site concerning details of Super8 stock purchase, process and transfer in Australia and New Zealand. http://mishkin.yolasite.com/

I hope the links are handy,

cheers

Why are you encouraging people who probably don't know how to fix a camera, to fix a camera?

Hello,

I am encouraging people to have a go at fixing their defunct cameras to help them shoot some film through it. it would seem a shame for a camera to rot in the closet simply due to corroded battery contacts, or some other simple fix. And if they ruin the camera for good trying to repair it? no loss, it is not as though the thing was running perfectly before hand.

And, if you look at the website, I give lots of warnings and tips on the care that should be taken.

I always encourage people to have a go repairing things for themselves, two reasons:

the money they save, and the fact that they are potentially depriving a rip off merchant of hard earned money.

cheers

• Premium Member

I sold someone a Nizo camera so they would have a back up camera because their Nizo camera's handle was not working right. The camera would only run via the on and off switch located on the side of the camera. They tried to fix their own Nizo by looking at the one I sold them. After many hours of trying to fix their own Nizo, they made their own camera worse, and then just junked what had been a working super-8 Nizo, complete with a gorgeous lens on it.

I would suggest it would be useful if you were able to collect and share information on anyone who is STILL FIXING the cameras, and find out if anybody wants spare parts as well.

well I have purchased quite a few cameras that were not working, and with some simple fixes, I was able to get them working again.

So that's one junked nizo to my five repaired, good enough odds I think for people to attempt simple repairs on their own defunct cameras.

http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/

Have an actual look at the website, you will discover that I do not use a soldering iron, nor do I remove circuitry. Merely removing covers and cleaning can hardly be considered intence surgery. For a person who followed my examples carefully to completly bugger their camera is more the fault of their doing a step wrong, than my examples.

And I did, a few years back, find someone who STILL FIXED cameras, it cost me $140 to be told the camera was a dead one, and it came back with a cracked casing. Also, as I live in Australia I was not going to send a $100 camera overseas for repair. However, I have listed a local repairer on this site:

http://mishkin.yolasite.com/australian-super8.php

Obviously not the one I had previous experience with. And in response to your last comment, as you find home repair to be detrimental and risky, why not compile your own list of repairers? I am sure it would be quite handy.

Thanks for the diagrams Gareth. I have 2 814e s and a 1014e. 10 times out of ten it is electrical problem that stops them, usually the handle hinge contact. good to know how to unscrew the body with a bit of knowledge of what goes where with a reference to look at. Good stuff.

• Premium Member
well I have purchased quite a few cameras that were not working, and with some simple fixes, I was able to get them working again.

So that's one junked nizo to my five repaired, good enough odds I think for people to attempt simple repairs on their own defunct cameras.

Obviously not the one I had previous experience with. And in response to your last comment, as you find home repair to be detrimental and risky, why not compile your own list of repairers? I am sure it would be quite handy.

I'm not the one advocating personal repairs. but I'm pretty sure I have purchased cameras that were opened up by a novice, not properly fixed, closed back up, and sold anyways.

The nicer way to say it is, it would make sense to always list repair places alongside do it yourself tips, complete with a small warning that it probably is not fair to the repair place to take the camera apart and then offer to send it to repair facility for a look.

One of the reasons I curtailed my shooting was I could not find a local place to lube my Eumig's, and then properly close it back up so all the knobs and dials still worked correctly. However, I believe Bolex in Switzerland still repairs Eumig's and such and if the right opportunity comes along I may send them a bunch of my cameras for servicing.

I know you are not the one advocating personal repairs, I suggested that as you had a greater interest in cameras being repaired professionally, then maybe you should compile a list of businesses that carry out such repairs.

And I can understand the disappointment of buying a camera to discover it does not work, but then surely it would have been advertised as "not working", and if you buy it in that state, you are taking your chances, that is why they are usually cheaper.

You make a fair point of suggesting repair shops next to "do it yourself" tips, but I will not be researching such shops, as from an Australian perspective, the costs of postage would negate the value of the camera. If you have such a list, pass it on and I will put it on the website, but it will be without a "warning", as I beleive it is perfectly reasonable for people to repair their own equipment, and I think that level of independence should be encouraged.

If you carefully lubed at least one of your cameras, you would be able to shoot again with them, servicing can be expensive.

cheers