Problems with my Bealieu 6008 Pro

Paco Sweetman

Hi all,

I bought a Beaulieu Pro 6008 Pro about six months ago. I only got around to shooting a roll of Tri-X about a month ago.

When I got it back everything that is shot wide is completely out of focus. At points when I zoom in on people on the roll it comes crisp into focus.

I've tried to re-adjust the eye piece: zoomed in on something far away, put focus to infinity and then tighten the eyepiece screw. When I zoom out everything goes completely out of focus.

I have a Bealieu 6.9-55mm / 1.4 lens on the camera.

I've shot super 8 for years and never had these kind of problems. Any suggestions greatly welcomed.

EDIT************************************

Okay, I've noticed that when I zoom out fully that it's out of focus quite badly. When I begin zooming in (with the lens control device) before it zooms in, the image 'pings' into focus. Then starts zooming.

Hi all,

I bought a Beaulieu Pro 6008 Pro about six months ago. I only got around to shooting a roll of Tri-X about a month ago.

When I got it back everything that is shot wide is completely out of focus. At points when I zoom in on people on the roll it comes crisp into focus.

I've tried to re-adjust the eye piece: zoomed in on something far away, put focus to infinity and then tighten the eyepiece screw. When I zoom out everything goes completely out of focus.

I have a Bealieu 6.9-55mm / 1.4 lens on the camera.

I've shot super 8 for years and never had these kind of problems. Any suggestions greatly welcomed.

EDIT************************************

Okay, I've noticed that when I zoom out fully that it's out of focus quite badly. When I begin zooming in (with the lens control device) before it zooms in, the image 'pings' into focus. Then starts zooming.

Sounds like the back focus of the lens is off. Take it to a lens tech and have it collimated.

Isn't it stuck in a macro setting?

Make sure the eyepiece is set for your eye and use the groundglass (disc in the middle)

with the lens at full aperture to check if it focuses correctly.

It is a low budget starter thing and this lens is hardly the lens to have with such a camera.

Better find an original high-end rather than spending money like Euro 100-200

on collimating or repair. If you get it that low.

Think of www.super16inc.com. even from Uk it may be attractive. And good!

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

It sounds like a problem with the zoom mechanism if it pops into focus as you start zooming.

If it gradually got sharper as you zoomed in you'd probably just need a simple back-focus adjustment. Back-focus is more critical at wide focal lengths, so a zoom that's out will be out of focus at the wide end but still sharp at the long end.

Play in the zoom mechanism (which your lens seems to have) is harder to repair, and would require lens dismantling.

Local rental houses should be able to help you or at least recommend someone, but you may not like the quote.

You might find that the zoom stays sharp in one direction, so you could still use it as a variable prime by (for example) zooming out then zooming back in a little to get it sharp.

By the way, the trick to adjusting the eyepiece diopter is to defocus the lens and focus the eyepiece on the ground glass texture.

Hi, what is most likely happening here is that the lens's macro position switch has come loose, is broken, or you have it switched to macro mode. Thus when you zoom out fully, the lens is moving past the 'normal' wide angle end setting to the macro range. The macro range part of the lens optics is shifting and thus your out-of-focus images. Double check the macro setting on the lens. Since this lens was a bargain offering by BEAULIEU when the 6008 series was introduced, you'd be better off spending money on either the ANGENIEUX or SCHNEIDER lenses. The lens you have was made in Japan for BEAULIEU. --- For ease of focusing on this model (applies to 6008S also), remove the lens or throw it into full macro mode so all is out of focus. Then adjust eyepiece diopter until the center ground glass circle is sharp. Set lens to full telephoto and adjust focus at either 10ft or 15ft with some contrasty newsprint taped to a wall. Check the focus using a tape measure to the focal plane, and reference the lens setting. If both are in agreement, and the image is sharp in the groundglass circle, all should be okay. I recommend conducting a short film test to double-check this of course. --- Lastly, while annoying the groundglass circle does work. BEAULIEU realized this 'flaw' and went back to a full proper ground glass screen located near the front of the camera; and offered a retro-fit for all 6008 series cameras. The 7008 and 9008 models no longer used the groundglass circle method. In my opinion, I felt the movable groundglass screen as in the earlier metal bodied silent and sound cameras, was a better concept. Hope this helps, good luck with your camera!

• Premium Member

Does anyone know of a lens tech in London that might be able to do this for me?

Hi, your best option is to ship lens and camera to Sweden for a service, if you have the funds, look for a schneider 6-66 or angenuiex 6-80 lens for the camera. Might be worth asking Bjorn if he has a 6-66 available. That beaulieu lens i think and stand corrected was made by chinon, i swapped mine out for a 6-80 of which Bjorn repaired and adjusted to my 7008... Shipping cost to Sweden were approx £50.00 around two years ago! Here is Bjorn email address bjorn.andersson@brevet.nu

It sounds like a back focus/collimation issue to me.

Over the years the c-mount threads wear and half a mm can throw your back focus.

Just today I spoke on the phone to Camserve in East Sussex regarding a different lens issue, but coincidentally I also inquired about getting my Schneider 6-66 serviced and properly collimated to my Beaulieu.

He said it would cost £40-60 depending on the number of elements and work required, plus VAT and return shipping.

You might want to check them out: www.camserve.co.uk