THE LAST ROLL OF KODACHROME

Admittedly this is about a still film, still it is Kodachrome, which the Church should canonize.

From last Saturday's 'All Things Considered' on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/07/23/128728114/kodachrome

Transcript of the above:

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=128728114

Is there any wonder kodachrome is going? Here is a quote from the article where he is talking about the pressure he felt on shooting that last roll on kodachrome:

"So before he took one of those shots, he used a digital camera to hone in on the perfect exposure. "To have that reinforcement, to be able to see that on a two-dimensional screen ... it was a big help," he says".

That explains the end of kodachrome!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

"So before he took one of those shots, he used a digital camera to hone in on the perfect exposure. "To have that reinforcement, to be able to see that on a two-dimensional screen ... it was a big help," he says".

That explains the end of kodachrome!

Come on now. He had one (special) roll and every shot had to count. Here in Cinematography.com the advice is always to shoot tests, before the final shot. If he was a normal shooter he would have been able to bracket his shots.

• Premium Member

We need to make Kodachrome "cool" again, like what happened with Polaroid, and how it's supposedly coming back for it's cool factor. I am, mildly curious, if anyone could ever "borrow" the secret sauce from Kodak, licensed or what have you, and make up small batches, or hell, even somehow home-brew it. I recall someone on here before working on an @ home emulsion coating machine.

Damn, I need a recipe of that home-brew :)

Seriously I still think Kodachrome is a beautiful stock and very original in both dyes and emulsion. WIth K-14 processing becoming less and less available, I'm not blaming people for not using it anymore and ultimately for Kodak to take it off the market. Digital people still pretends that recreating the tones in post, will match the old stocks.

Edited by Ziryab Ben Brahem

Digital people still pretends that recreating the tones in post, will match the old stocks.

I predict it will never happen. Each is its own separate medium.

Besides...

Film = Leather

Digital = Pleather

The ones in the know will always be able to tell the difference.

I have a roll of Super 8 Kodachrome. I should get crackin'. I also have a double 8 and not sure what I'm going to do about that. Thought I was getting Super 8 and I have no Double 8 camera. Think it will work in my Bolex? :D

Edited by Pat Murray