Student in need of help

Austin mpho malema

Oh sorry, I just glanced at the post and didn't see the "no filters" there which I must say is kinda bizarre. Why wouldn't you professors want you to learn how to use filters, I mean they ARE a significant part of the film making process. Oh well, I suppose they're trying to teach you there are often several ways to approach a problem......or something like that. :unsure:

• Premium Member

Oh sorry, I just glanced at the post and didn't see the "no filters" there which I must say is kinda bizarre. Why wouldn't you professors want you to learn how to use filters, I mean they ARE a significant part of the film making process. Oh well, I suppose they're trying to teach you there are often several ways to approach a problem......or something like that. :unsure:

Most basic filmmaking class nowadays don't venture very far into filtration. And depending upon the school and how many film classes they offer, some may not consider filters a critical learning tool when they could purchase a set of barndoors for their lights for about the same price. The school can teach the same concept of color temperature/balancing by purchasing gels...a far cheaper investment.

Most basic filmmaking class nowadays don't venture very far into filtration. And depending upon the school and how many film classes they offer, some may not consider filters a critical learning tool when they could purchase a set of barndoors for their lights for about the same price. The school can teach the same concept of color temperature/balancing by purchasing gels...a far cheaper investment.

OH GOOD LORD. :blink: Austin, learn the use of filters, dude and SERIOUSLY consider a new film school. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

Film is balanced one way or the other and if you take your tungsten

balanced stock outside, the first step is to throw an on an 85, unless

you want to shoot it without correction. If you bring daylight stock inside

you correct for that on the camera or the lights.

Filters such as 85, 80, ND etc. are basic parts of shooting film and

could hardly be considered extra equipment in any sensible approach

to production. If that is the program's requirement I would challenge it or

look elsewhere.

It would be strange to have a production that would include any HMI and rule

out a filter as being extra equipment.

I would either gel the lights or use a camera filter. Who cares if your breaking the film schools stupid rule's, your aim is to make the best film possible.

Better to seek forgiveness then ask permission and most filmschools should encourage a bit of rule breaking. I'd have thought lighting gels don't count anyways - your possibly going to want to put something on the lights anyway - scrims, diffusion etc... even if you don't use color correction.

I never had any problems when I 'broke' the rules at film school - eg using HMI's when the project allowed red-heads only. Its your job to be pushing at the boundaries - the filmmakers that obey all the rules are usually the less successful. Your only priority is to make a good film - everything else will be forgotten if the films good enough

If you can't get the filter from the school then go out and buy your own damn filter.

It's a stupid waste of time to do this in post, unless you are participating in an exercise to determine the effects of different types of light uncorrected (shooting the same stock under fluorescent, daylight, tungsten, mercury vapor, sodium vapor, etc.).

Guys is it possible to shoot an interior scene with kodak 250D Vision stock with tungsten lights and no filter. Its a student film. We get 1 HMI 1.5, 3 Blondes, 3 Red heads and 2* 2 K Mole light, and 3 flags. plz help

Does the interior scene have windows with real daylight coming through them?

How big is the space you have to light?

Do you have access to C.T.Blue light gels, even previously used some? If you don't could you get a spark or a gaffer to give you some from a set, where they are being thrown away?

Do you want to mix light or do you want it all to match?

At the film course I am on we are taught how to use filters etc, In fact i've just bought some CTO for a shoot next week, but...

.. there have been a few tasks in the past on the course where we have been given a brief for a shoot/project, with equipment that is provided, and to only use this equipment and none other, thus spawning more creaticity, maybe this is part of your project brief Austin?

If not, i agree with the other's. Buy, steal, borrow some gels and make the best film you can. You seem to have enough lighting equipment, surely they can't specify you can't use gels/'filters'.

Good luck with it anyway :)