low budget lighting

hi everyone,

i am in an tight budget and can't really afford studio lights. I am hoping that i will be able to produce more or less same lighting effects with much cheaper light sources. Which light sources should i buy? i would appreciate some help on this topic. (creative lighting techniques using halogen, tungsten lights etc are also appreciated)

Open face lamps (up to a certain wattage) can be reasonably imitated by security/work type fixtures available easily and cheaply at places like Home Depot (in the US) or B&Q (in the UK). If you are putting the light through diffusion, it really doesn't matter too much if it's coming from a $20 work lamp or a $300 movie light

Fluorescent lamps are pretty easy to improvise, as long as you use a High Frequency ballast, and high CRI tubes

Other than that, for any lamp with a lens, like a Fresnel, a Profile spot, a Source 4 or a narrow PAR, you are going to have to use the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

China lanterns are cheep, and can be controlled to some extent with the aid of a blackwrap. Too, you can pick up some scoop style work lights for a harder light.. I would find units that have porcelain sockets and are rated for up to 660 watts, then you could outfit them with 500 watt photoflood bulbs (tungsten or daylight balanced)....Again I would suggest you have some blackwrap on hand to shape the light.

Think about mirrors too. You can pick up small 1x1 tiles or larger mirrors to steal a little of that free sunlight. If you do decide on mirrors, I would suggest you gaff tape the edges as they can become very expensive once you include the cost of stitches.

Good luck

V

ps the down side to using mirrors is that you are always chasing the light as the sun goes about it's business.

Edited by verlon allen

• Premium Member
Other than that, for any lamp with a lens, like a Fresnel, a Profile spot, a Source 4 or a narrow PAR, you are going to have to use the real thing.

Absolutely.

Of course, you can just go and buy a parcan from a theatrical lighting supplier, and put any PAR unit you want in it.

Also there are far cheaper things than source 4s that do more or less the same thing.

P