Film industry term: "Mule"

JD Hartman

Is there an alternate definition for a piece of equipment known as a mule? The only one I'm familiar with is a motor powered capstan hoist, used to haul cable up to greenbeds or perms. I had a Director use the term to describe a motorized equipment cart found in a Grip truck. Anyone have a photo of such an animal?

Is there an alternate definition for a piece of equipment known as a mule? The only one I'm familiar with is a motor powered capstan hoist, used to haul cable up to greenbeds or perms. I had a Director use the term to describe a motorized equipment cart found in a Grip truck. Anyone have a photo of such an animal?

Perhaps, is Mule is interchangeable with "Donkey" when referring to the hoist?

http://www.google.com/images?q=john+deere+mule&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=xpjtTIi3JtD8ngfj0-iaAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CFkQsAQwBA&biw=1400&bih=828

We used those on a commercial shoot in Monahas Tx. It's an state park area with vast sand dunes that doubled for Saudi Arabia complete with half a dozen camels. It was a very cool place to film but ironically, cold as HELL the day of the shoot. The mules were invaluable in moving equipment over the dunes. I actually wanted to pick one up down the road but for what they cost, I have a dune buggy, I may try to modify to carry equipment. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly