help to buy professional video camera

luis moya

hello.

i would like to ask you if you could give me some advice to buy a professional video camera.

i am a little bit confused with this new´s DSLR cameras.what is the best option quality/price? an DSLR camera or a Professional video camera like a EX1?

i want a camera to make weddings and Eng jobs, but also to make some short movies.

can you help me with this?

thanks.

• Premium Member

hello.

i would like to ask you if you could give me some advice to buy a professional video camera.

i am a little bit confused with this new´s DSLR cameras.what is the best option quality/price? an DSLR camera or a Professional video camera like a EX1?

i want a camera to make weddings and Eng jobs, but also to make some short movies.

can you help me with this?

thanks.

The issue is mainly one of needing an ENG zoom lens -- still camera lenses are not really optimized for a lot of ENG shooting. DSLR's are easier to use / more appropriate in controllable situations where you can take more time to get the focus right, or conversely, in an uncontrollable situation but one where you can accept a shallow-focus image where things go in and out of focus, as a look.

Not so good for following uncontrollable action, zooming in and focusing manually, operating smoothly handheld, where you absolutely have to get that shot in sharp focus... unless you want to spend a lot of accessories for the DSLR. So I would probably get both, a pro ENG camera and a DSLR for shots where you want that look from a larger sensor. It's not that expensive to get a DSLR so why not add one to your ENG package?

The lenses are the real issue, the image / recording quality is similar between these cameras other than the depth of field characteristics of a smaller versus larger sensor and the corresponding effect that has on focal length.

I think something like an EX1 is definitely the way to go. They are a lot more practical in situations where you might not have exuberant amounts of time to set shots up. DSLR's are great for short films as they produce such shallow depth of field, because of their sensor size.

thanks a lot for all your opinions. i found a camera that i am really interesting the panasonic AF101.

I don’t know if some of you know the camera. is like a dslr but with a real professional body camera and with interchangeable lenses.

what is your opinion about this camera?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks a lot for all your opinions. i found a camera that i am really interesting the panasonic AF101.

I don’t know if some of you know the camera. is like a dslr but with a real professional body camera and with interchangeable lenses.

what is your opinion about this camera?

It really depends on what you want to use it for. It isn't an ENG camera, so if you're planning to shoot news this wouldn't be a good choice. I'd also be prepared to spend additional money in putting together a shooting rig. The zoom lens choices are currently rather limited and are basically stills lenses.