1st AC and Doorway Dolly

Dirk Naves

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to fit an upcoming shoot into it's budget and looking for places to save some money. Does anyone have any experience with a 1st AC pulling focus while the camera is on a tripod/doorway dolly? Or is a real dolly with a seat for the 1st AC an absolute necessity?

Thanks a lot!

• Premium Member

I've had 1sts pull it off before. It's not impossible but you will need to make sure you have room with the side boards on and also that your balanced and not risking tipping over.

I would still just go for a normal ride on dolly and suck up the price difference between the two if possible though.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to fit an upcoming shoot into it's budget and looking for places to save some money. Does anyone have any experience with a 1st AC pulling focus while the camera is on a tripod/doorway dolly? Or is a real dolly with a seat for the 1st AC an absolute necessity?

Thanks a lot!

Most good AC's would have absolutely no problem walking and pulling focus. Most of them do that anyway, unless there is a complication that requires them to ride.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!

Dude, I've worked with everything and you just make it work. He's got feet, doesn't he?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!

I've done this all the time and have seen this done all the time. However it is quite necessary to have sideboards on the doorway dolly (which most doorway dollies have). A seat is not necessary. With sideboards on it will no longer be able to fit through a doorway.

Oops: I just noticed how many replies this got. I thought I was the first to reply! Dumb me!

Ya'll can delete this post if needed.

Edited by Ronald Gerald Smith

• 4 months later...

The doorway dolly is all we have at my school, so I'm pulling on it all the time. Generally there is enough room without the wings to fit the camera, seated operator, and standing AC to fit through the door. If both wings are on, then we're rolling in luxury!