Kodak Look Manager

Dominik Muench

Hi,

i readin the new asc an interview with the dop of closer and his use of a previsualization programm called Kodak Look Manager, has anyone used that programm before ? is it possible to get a demo version from somewhere ? i couldnt find anything on the kodak homepage :/

Our local Kodak rep in South Africa gave a lot of us local DP's a months free trial with the system. It is a pretty amazing tool to have acsess to.

For example, at the time, I was in prep to shoot a commercial for a Swedish bread company, and the wheat field we were using as a location looked really grey and forlorn to the eye. The field was 'bought' by the production company and was a couple of weeks past it's harvest time. Obviously we were all a little concerned.

Took a couple of pics of the location on a scout, put them in to my laptop, mixed up a 'recipe' and viola- I was able to show them, with the help of a couple of filters, (I think a Coral 2 or 3, and 1 stop push on 100 ASA), 'golden' wheatfields. (unfortunately, on day we shot it was grey and overcast, Sods Law).

I would speak to your local Kodak rep and ask him or her about a free trial.

The downside to the KLMS is that the post house you use, also has to have the system in place, you have to sync your computer monitor to theirs, or vice a versa (so they know what you are aiming at) and the files you send are quite large (a drag with a regular land line).

But other than those minor downsides, it is a really good previsualisation tool, and alleviates a lot of stress for yourself, the director and the producers, because they can see exactly what they are going to get.

mb

• Premium Member
have you tried US homepage? a basic product outline can be found on

www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/index.jhtml

cheers matt

Free sample software is available on CD-ROM from your local Kodak representative:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...=0.1.4.16&lc=en

• Premium Member
I would love to try this software. Kodak, France does not have any free sample software cd-rom's. What can I do?

Keep asking. Who is your Kodak representative?

Sorry, I can't just send them from here as they do like a 1-on-1 meeting so they can help address your needs.

I see that DMuench is on the Gold Coast (Queensland).

The Kodak rep there would be Lee Christiansen.

There are several KLMS systems either in use or being trialled in Australia at the moment: but it's not just a matter of downloading a bit of software.

For it to work, you must have the correct digital still camera, correctly calibrated, and also a properly calibrated monitor. You also need to establish a relationship with the facility that you will send the images and recipes to (lab or telecine house), so that they are seeing the same as you.

• Premium Member

Demonstration in Paris :

A l'occasion du Micro Salon de l'AFC , le 10 mars 2005 à la Fémis,

Venez découvrir la dernière née des pellicules négatives couleur de la gamme Vision2 :

la Vision2 250 Daylight 5205/7205

Cinquième film négatif de la gamme, il vous offre une structure d'image d'un très haut

niveau de précision et de stabilité, un grain ultra-fin et une échelle tonale conçue pour

assurer une efficacité maximale en postproduction optique comme numérique.

Et participer à la présentation du Kodak Look Manager System ( KLMS)

en situation de tournage et de post production.

Tout au long de cette journée, nous ferons la part belle aux applications pratiques :

de la prises de vue en condition de tournage, à l'application des nombreuses possibilités

offertes par ce système (simulation des différentes pellicules Kodak , des trucages

à la prise de vues et des techniques d'éclairage ou de traitement laboratoire )

A très bientôt au Micro Salon,

L'équipe Kodak Cinéma & Télévision