Arri Camera Packages

Dominik Muench

Hi,

im planing on getting my own super 16mm camera, simply because im sick of renting a camera for horrendous prices, and secondly because i hope to get more work when i can sell myself "including camera" so that clients can safe on rental prices,plus i could rent out my cam when i dont work.

since im still a student i cant afford packages for 15.000 upwards. can anyone give me a tipp where i could get a good deal and what camera to get ? i was thinking about an arri sr2 (since im pretty comfortable with that cam), the package should include:

- 2 magazines

-follow focus

- 2 batteries and charger

- mattbox

- a zoom lens of some kind, maybe a zeiss 10-100

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get a S16 SRII for less than $15,000, especially with lens, matte box, and follow focus. I just saw a SRI at whitehouseav.com for $11,000, and that's regular -- not super -- 16mm.

I like Arri, but you're probably going to have to go with another brand if you're on a budget. Or at least an older Arri than the SRII.

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get a S16 SRII for less than $15,000, especially with lens, matte box, and follow focus.  I just saw a SRI at whitehouseav.com for $11,000, and that's regular -- not super -- 16mm.

I like Arri, but you're probably going to have to go with another brand if you're on a budget.  Or at least an older Arri than the SRII.

yeah i was thinking of an arri ltr maybe, they seem to be cheaper.

I have an Arri High Speed SR one I have been thinking of selling and I have a fair amount of accessories though.

You can easily find stuff all over the internet and the back pages of American Cinematographer too. Oh yeah they also have a website.

But believe it or not, ebay has a ton of Arri gear that frequently changes. Just search for Arri. But let the buyer beware. Who knows the history of any of those.

Though 16mm film cameras are cheap compared to ten years ago, you should think seriously about dropping a whole lot of money on a camera. Ask yourself do you really need one?? If you come from a rich family and cash is no problem, sure do it. But you could easily invest 50-60 thousand dollars US and still have plenty of gear you may need and not have. Renting a package for a weekend or a week from time to time is far cheaper than owning the whole frigging thing.

Renting a camera is a pain too. No matter what your price is, everyone will want to chew you down. And again unless you are really rich and can buy everything, you will never have everything they need for their particular job. Then you have to deal with insurance, maintenance and repairs. And all at the same time if someone breaks a lense on you. And you'll be missing it for 5 months. But you may have a contact that will always rent from you. That would be a great scenerio. But you may have to consider what happens when the camera breaks down? On a job?

So my advice is (again unless money is no object) don't buy a camera unless you really know you need one and can rent it so that it pays for itself. If you buy one to rent get an Arri. They are a little tougher than Aaton. But if you buy a camera don't rent it. It can be a real hassle. If you buy one and don't rent it consider an Aaton. They are cheaper and are already set up to do super and regular 16 unlike original Arri SR's one and two.

Just my 2 cents

Well, I have an Arri S and I'm really glad I got it even though it's been hard finding accessories and parts for it. I hope to have it up and running by spring. I have always liked "old stuff" and collecting things, and part of why I own this camera is because it is a collector's item (serial #115). So if you're like me and you're into vintage things or a packrat (or both!), you might enjoy owning your own 16mm camera. If, however, you only want to buy it for the sake of function, I would think about it a little more. I mean, that's my opinion and some people might feel differently, but I take after my father, who once bought a vintage '52 Plymouth to the horror of the rest of my family! (Of course, I thought it was really cool and kept bugging him for rides.)

Good luck. Oh and as for ebay, it has been my lifeline as far as camera accessories. Just watch out for auction snipers!

Edit: My bad, misread the original post. If you're looking for super 16, you could get a 16mm camera and have it converted. (In which case, DON'T get an S, because they are damn-near-impossible to convert!)

Edited by SpikeyAnnie

thanks for the help, yes money is a bit issue,so i really have to think about that step (and itl cost me my beloved pearl srx drumset :/)

You're gonna sell your Pearl Set! :o

I've got a Ludwig four piece (just like Ringo) and an Aaton LTR-X

Maybe you can have both :)

If you're low on funds I recommend you look on Ebay

There's a few Arri SR2 going for around 8K ...though that'll change

And there's a few Aaton XTR going under 5K right now...though that'll change

Still it's pretty affordable (more affordable than mines)

The thing is (why people don't recommend Ebay) it's a gamble

You don't really get to test the camera, you've got no warranties

And you don't even get to see what you're buying before you pay.

I would be careful who I send out more than a 1grand (heck $100) on Ebay.

Also I'd save some money to send the camera to a good shop one I got it.

Just to make sure everything is in working order.

If you like Arri SR2's stick with them they're pretty good and straightfoward

Although they cost a little more than Aaton's

I think they're slightly cheaper to maintain

And much more popular

(I met a producer who never heard of Aaton, but love the Arri SRs...strange...)

Aaton LTR-54's are also pretty good but of course not as popular dunnowhy.

Not many other cameras are worth spending much money in the S16 format

Maybe and Eclair ACL II, but I dunno...

If you're looking for a camera dealer seriousgear.com is pretty good

They're based outta Seattle, WA in the USA

They sell Aaton LTR-54's at a pretty reputable price

Check Jimon.com (that's where I brought my camera from).

Anyways good luck...

& only sell your Pearl Set if you're sure you wanna shoot more than play :)

Oh and I forgot....

DON'T RENT YOUR CAMERA!

Unless you're a rental company it never helps.

Always go out with your camera or send it out with someone you know & trust

Treat it like if it were you untouched virgin daughter...don't strangers F**K with it.

And get an insurance policy on it.

Get a yearly insurance policy on it to protect it all year round

Even when you're not shooting.

Good Luck

"Untouched virgin daughter"...that's great... :lol: Well, I had to sell my snowboard and my synth to get my camera. It was tough but I think I made the right choice. Especially because soon after I sold these things, I got a promotion at work, so now I can just get a new board anyway! (I could almost write it off as a necessary tool because I will be shooting a snowboarding video this winter...hm...)

• Premium Member
Edit: My bad, misread the original post. If you're looking for super 16, you could get a 16mm camera and have it converted. (In which case, DON'T get an S, because they are damn-near-impossible to convert!)

Actually the nice guys at Du-All have almost completed a pretty solid Super 16 conversion for the Arri S. I'm not sure what they'll charge but I'd be very willng to submit my camera for it when some spare capital comes my way.