Mixing 35mm with Super 16mm and Standard 16mm

Phil Thompson

Hello,

I am shooting a film. Using all cameras, stocks etc I can get my hands on. I realise that I will never go back out to film. (well would be nice but probably not). Anyway, I guess the end result will be blu-ray for the festivals. The question is this.

If i have 35mm scanned at 2K, super 16mm at 2K and standard 16mm at 2k .. Will it all work together when i bring it all together at the end??

Phil

• Premium Member

You will have noticeable grain issues. Intercut between 16mm and 35mm will be interesting, but, in theory, you could intercut something like 500asa, and the 16mm might not be as bad.

Just a thought.

Someone smarter will know more!

• Site Sponsor

I think it is a good Idea! You could say that you would shoot wides, Aireals , sweeping vistas on 35mm and close intimate scenes and taughtly writted dialog on 16mm and macro closeups of bugs in jars on Super8.... I think format mixing can work well.. see Constant Gardner.

-Rob-

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends how well it works with the story you're trying to tell, but has been done on a number of films. You may wish to have a logic or you may not in the use of the formats.

"If" mixed colour and B&W and people discussed the aesthetic reasoning in great length afterwards, turned out they shot scenes in B&W because they no longer had enough money in the budget to shoot in colour.