TELECINE FORMAT

vijay veluvolu

In the next month iam going to shoot music video on S16mm,after developing i am going in to

telecine,which format can i get good quality in terms of details in shadows and highlights..which format is correct...

What is diff between DV CAM and HDV FORMAT in terms of bit rate,sampling rate ....which format holds better details....

• Premium Member

You want an HD format I would think. The most popular thing to do these days is to have a 1080 ProRes HQ file made which you can drop into your edit bay easily.

The two formats you listed are both tape; DV is SD and not very useful and HDV is not a true HD format while also being overly compressed. Neither are in use much anymore.

I'm not about the HDV not being used that much, I suspect there are still huge amounts of HDV being shot. I also know of HDV cameras that have never shot that format, just DV. It's easy to get excited by the HD, but a lot of stuff is still being delivered and distributed on standard def.

Yes, ProRes would make much more sense.

• Premium Member

I'm not about the HDV not being used that much, I suspect there are still huge amounts of HDV being shot. I also know of HDV cameras that have never shot that format, just DV. It's easy to get excited by the HD, but a lot of stuff is still being delivered and distributed on standard def.

Yes, ProRes would make much more sense.

We are talking film transfers here so an HD scan to a file/HDCam is really the only option these days if you want it to hold up at all. It would make no sense to transfer film to a toy-like HDV tape format, much less SD.

• Premium Member

I'm not about the HDV not being used that much, I suspect there are still huge amounts of HDV being shot.

I'm sure he means at the level of someone shooting film; yes there are plenty of HDV cameras out there for corporate/wedding uses but it's not really a broadcast format right?

I'm sure he means at the level of someone shooting film; yes there are plenty of HDV cameras out there for corporate/wedding uses but it's not really a broadcast format right?

There are quite a few broadcast programmes shot on the format, the much quoted one is "Deadliest Catch". Also it's being used for standard definition productions, the BBC has loads of Z1s and these may even be shooting on DVCam.

• Site Sponsor

HDV never became a transfer format because there were not decks with HD-SDI inputs, I think Sony did come up with one "Pro" HDV deck but it did not really sell. Most "professional" HDV is captured into Avid or Final Cut over SDI to better formats like DNxHD or ProRes for edit. Allot of the HDV decks had SDI out but not SDi in...

XDCam is being used as a dailies format (on XDCam discs) because it is less compressed and has password protection features.

A direct transfer to drive as proResHQ is probably really what you want.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

A direct transfer to drive as proResHQ is probably really what you want.

If you go that route, also check the price for an archival backup on LTO tape. If anything happens to the drive, it'll save you the money to go back to telecine again.

-- J.S.

thanks to all for giving replies...

here my doubt is when doing telecine s16mm to video.... which format can hold better depth of field, details in shadows and highlights...here these people are saying dvcam is better than HDV quality... i asked them why ...they are saying dv cam(45KBps,720X576) has better better rate than HDV..my question is how..

here telecine machine doesn't have possibility to take out put in Hard disk...

thanks to all for giving replies...

here my doubt is when doing telecine s16mm to video.... which format can hold better depth of field, details in shadows and highlights...here these people are saying dvcam is better than HDV quality... i asked them why ...they are saying dv cam(45KBps,720X576) has better better rate than HDV..my question is how..

i need uncompressed HD format,i want to know data rate,sampling rate and some other technical drawbacks of HD.....

The depth of field is dictated by the image size of your shooting format, in this case 16mm.

DV has less compression than HDV, but the latter has more data, however you may notice compression artefacts in things like leaves moving or grass.

Uncompressed HD requires a lot of storage and you need to do an off line in order edit. You do need to plan out your workflow. A HD SDI has a data rate of 1.485 Gbit/s, for 4:2:2, so that's the sort of figure you should be thinking in terms of.

This may sound a strange question, but is your telecine actually HD?

The depth of field is dictated by the image size of your shooting format, in this case 16mm.

DV has less compression than HDV, but the latter has more data, however you may notice compression artefacts in things like leaves moving or grass.

Uncompressed HD requires a lot of storage and you need to do an off line in order edit. You do need to plan out your workflow. A HD SDI has a data rate of 1.485 Gbit/s, for 4:2:2, so that's the sort of figure you should be thinking in terms of.

This may sound a strange question, but is your telecine actually HD?

no my telecine machine can give dvcam or hdv on tape

no my telecine machine can give dvcam or hdv on tape

I'll assume it's a standard definition telecine, the recording format is just what you record the output of the telecine onto. You'll find less motion artefacts on the DVCam, I suspect there's probably little or no benefit to recording standard definition video from the telecine onto HDV.