16mm processing in the UK alive and well

Ross A Wilson

Excuse me if I'm missing something here but on this forum the opinion seems to be that shooting and processing 16mm in the UK is almost impossible and it's dying out fast.

This is not the case and I apologise if it's been mentioned before but this information should be valuable to those who think shooting and processing 16mm in the UK is difficult or to those who might be considering doing it.

www.complete16.com

Soho Film Lab, Technicolor and iLab run a 16mm film program that makes it super easy to shoot and process 16mm in the UK.

1 price gets you film stock, processing and transfer to a format in 100ft or 400ft rolls. 16mm processing is actually easier than ever thanks to this package, obviously launched to keep the format going. Thank you digital!

Again I hope this puts to rest any ideas that the format is hard to shoot on in the UK, and if I'm repeating information then I still think it's worth mentioning it again.

• Premium Member

Excuse me if I'm missing something here but on this forum

1 price gets you film stock, processing and transfer to a format in 100ft or 400ft rolls.

But what if as for many independent film-makers the desired format is a work-print on 3383 or equivalent? I believe the discussion was referring to the treand to require a computer step between the camera and the viewer.

Excuse me if I'm missing something here but on this forum the opinion seems to be that shooting and processing 16mm in the UK is almost impossible and it's dying out fast.

This is not the case and I apologise if it's been mentioned before but this information should be valuable to those who think shooting and processing 16mm in the UK is difficult or to those who might be considering doing it.

www.complete16.com

Soho Film Lab, Technicolor and iLab run a 16mm film program that makes it super easy to shoot and process 16mm in the UK.

1 price gets you film stock, processing and transfer to a format in 100ft or 400ft rolls. 16mm processing is actually easier than ever thanks to this package, obviously launched to keep the format going. Thank you digital!

Again I hope this puts to rest any ideas that the format is hard to shoot on in the UK, and if I'm repeating information then I still think it's worth mentioning it again.

It is not so much that you are "repeating information", but the on-line petition which has attracted thousands of signatures was directed at the decision of Deluxe (the new owners of Soho Film Lab) to cease printing 16mm stock.

You are correct when you say that there is no problem in getting 16mm negative processed, or getting it on recorded in digital form. However, not all of us have a use for digital recordings, and require prints which can be projected. To this extent, you were mistaken. None of the three labs you mention produce 16mm prints.

How's that 16mm promotion in the UK doing? Are they selling more film? Are people shooting more?

I'd like to see Fuji & Kodak do something like that in the U.S.

Second, only here in Spain. For that price I'd be shooting WAY more than I do, the 100' offer gets close to the cost of super8, the 400' roll offer makes it even cheaper :o

I'm jealous of you brits...

Umm, we don't need a petition in the States because 16mm printing, short ends, negative is alive and well (well, not as much as before, but still quite alright).

Cinelab is busily running their ECP machine with 16mm print stock.

I've 3800 feet of ECP in my freezer right now.

Howabout less online petition BS and more shooting, processing, printing, projection. These last three share their nfirst two letters with another important word for getting any film made, done: PRoductivity. . .

Less time on Flickr, Cinmatography.com, Google, FB, more time shooting.

I'm currently shooting kodak 100d color reversal, taking 400ft to iLab tomorrow.

Just a heads up to anyone wanting to use iLab and the package deals they do, bare in mind that the deal is only valid if you purchase the stock through them and they only sell Fuji stock, hopefully will save you troubles.

I know that iLab (now, I believe, owned by Reliance Media Works) process 16mm negative, but do they process Ektachrome 100D which I understand requires E6 processing? I looked at their web page but I did not see any mention of them processing 100D reversal film.

Can you confirm whether or not they do process 100D reversal film using E6 after you have been there?

We seem to be going over the same ground again and again. There have been two threads on the Film Processing forum already.

ILab can only process colour neg. Film & Photo can process colour neg, E6 and B/W. They can also do 16mm prints in colour and B/W.

Brian