MST Motor

Andrew Glenn Miller

Hey there,

First off, I have a Bolex Rex-5 with the the 400ft magazines. At the moment, I don't have a MST and battery to power this bad boy. I have been looking at MST motors and they are kind of expensive, but I came across a much cheaper one and wondering if this model will fit my rex-5. The lay out of it is a bit different so I'm worried it is not designed for the magazine and a battery to power it.

Here it is attached (I need it to be 24f, which it is).

picture22o.png

It seems that it may attach to a handgrip and battery, not magazine and battery.

Edited by Andrew Glenn Miller

That the early version of the MST motor with 6-pin DIN type power socket.

Later ones use a 7-pin DIN type socket.

It will run the MM mag take-up motor fine through the connection at the top.

You can power it from any 12VDC source.

According to my notes:

Pins 1 & 2 are joined and are 12V +.

Pins 4 & 5 are joined and are 12V -.

The connection near the power input socket is for remote on-off switch.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Edited by Jean-Louis Seguin

That the early version of the MST motor with 6-pin DIN type power socket.

Later ones use a 7-pin DIN type socket.

It will run the MM mag take-up motor fine through the connection at the top.

You can power it from any 12VDC source.

According to my notes:

Pins 1 & 2 are joined and are 12V +.

Pins 4 & 5 are joined and are 12V -.

The connection near the power input socket is for remote on-off switch.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Ah! Perfect, that's all the picture displayed, wasn't sure whether or not there was more to it. Time to find a 12v battery pack with 6-pin capability now. Thank you!

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but I'm a bit in the same situation. I just got the same MST motor and no way to power it. I have a 12v Bescor battery pack but I'm stumped on the cabling. The Bescor battery pack has a cigarette lighter plug off of it. And it came with a cigarette lighter plug that connects to the outlet or the camera. But if I take the battery out of the pouch the lighter plug is just hooked to two prongs with those little "H" connectors. So I would need a cable with a 6 pin female din plug on one end to the motor but not sure how I would hook the other end up to the battery. Of course I can't find any cables that would work for what I need. My motor didn't come with a power cable either.

This is the battery I have pretty much:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/129907-REG/Bescor_HP3ATM_HP_3ATM_Starved_Electrolyte_Battery.html

Any suggestions?

Thanks! I have no skills in that. I was thinking such a magical plug already existed (wishful thinking) but I guess I need to start learning. :) You make it sound so easy. So I'll try to make the cable myself.

Edited by T Sanders

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/7/2023 at 6:15 PM, calvin scibilia said:

@Jean-Louis SeguinDo you by chance know anyone converting MST motors to crystal sync anymore?

crystal conversions for most motors can be arranged but if it is a new design there will be minimum order quantities which makes it impractical to order only one piece and one needs to figure out what to do with the rest of them. Generally from 3 to 4 pieces minimum should be converted at a time and then those sold which the customer does not need. I usually charge from 3k upwards minimum order to cover the design costs whether it is a single piece or two or three, depends on the motor type and testing requirements how many pieces one could convert with price that but 3 or 4 should be possible depending on what kind of features are needed.

If AZ Spectrum already has a solution to convert these motors, definitely ask them first because they could probably make single pieces and faster than a custom newly made solution would take

@Aapo Lettinen Do you know a way to power the MST motor without it being too clunky ? I think it's the same story with the EBM. 

Here's what I saw when searching :

• Using the Bolex power handle - But I cannot find a recelled battery online.
  • Using V-mount 12v regulated plate - But putting it on the back will prevent using the viewfinder and make it unusable
  • Using a 12v "battery belt" like a Bescor - I don't really find that practical, for tripod shots ok maybe  but this looks a bit oldschool for shooting handheld

Maybe putting velcro on the door with a small battery ? Or something with the hot shoe mount...

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Antoine Pret said:

Could be well working solution if it can supply the needed amps reliably.

LiPo batteries usually lack the outer protective shell and they can be really nasty if damaged so it would be good to arrange some kind of protective box for it (plastic project box or something 3d printed for example) to protect it.

probably velcro should work fine for mounting but as said I would not use plain LiPo battery, better to have a protective box as they can catch fire and even explode if they are punctured or deformed too much causing internal short circuits which heat them to breaking point. They are meant to be installed inside devices where the outer casing of the device protects them, or in case of drones and RC stuff they don't have casing to reduce weight but then people just need to accept the risk that they get easily damaged with potentially catastrophic consequences.

I don't have Bolex motors to test out anything as my Bolex is too old model to use motors. if making motor modifications I would need to purchase a newer Bolex model with motor mounting points to test out the designs, that is why there is minimum order amounts in place as purchasing a camera body and couple of original motors just for tests costs quite much