t-stop for big explosion

Im shooting a show for swedish television that features a warehouse explosion, its still a couple of months left so I dont know what kind of pyros that will be used. I just want some general idea on exposure with 800 ISO. I will try to use one single explosion rather than typcial chain reaction that you see in action movies. I know i have to little info to make any correct predcitions what Im looking for is more of an estimate

Guest ramesh bhatnagar

HI, YOU NEVER WRITTEN Which camera you using if . digital i suggest don't go for 800ISO. because it might got grains.. 500ISO IS FINE OR DEFAULT 320 IS BETTER. EXPOSER OVER FOR HALF OR FULL ONE STOP.

IF YOU USING FILM THEN 500T KODAK VISION 3 IS FINE IN NIGHT. OR 250D IN DAY LIGHT..OVER EXPOSE FOR HALF OR ONE STOP..THIS IS MY SUGGESTION.. BYE BYE TAKE CARE

RAMESH BHATNAGAR FROM INDIA

Im shooting a show for swedish television that features a warehouse explosion, its still a couple of months left so I dont know what kind of pyros that will be used. I just want some general idea on exposure with 800 ISO. I will try to use one single explosion rather than typcial chain reaction that you see in action movies. I know i have to little info to make any correct predcitions what Im looking for is more of an estimate

I suspect it really depends on the nature of the explosion eg how much flame there is compared to other aspects of an explosion effect like dust and how much of it is hidden by the building's structure. You don't mention if it's day or night, although I assume it's night. Given it's TV I assume you're either shooting with an Alexa or a RED MX.

I suspect your shooting red with 800ISO plan. I have shot some explosions (exterior day) and the exposure was pretty good with being exposed for day light outside, I can't remember the stop from that shoot but I did also shoot alot of fire recently (like interior walls burning stuff like that) and we were shooting like F8-F11 and you still lose some detail in the flames for sure, but we couldn't really justify lighting to anything above an 11 and at a certain point I would assume the flames will just start looking almost surreal, because it is fire, it's gotta be somewhat overexposed, but I suppose it depends on what you are going for.

Thanks for all the respons, dont know how i managed to forget to mention that Im working with alexa. I guess you are right David, i will just go as high as I possible can. Im still not sure if we will film this during early morning or during night.