problems with budget limiting script

How could I go about solving this problem? Everytime I go about writing a script, I come up with ideas that seem to be impossible with my resources. I usually end up scrapping the idea or re-writing the script to fit my budget. Its usually the former.

Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box enough but its limiting what types of films i can make. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can fix my thinking?

It could be a matter of approaching the idea from another angle. Most films have budget restrictions and some of the best ideas or scenes have been come about because writers and directors have come up with another way of doing something which would've been beyond their budget. Limitations are a part of creativity.

• Premium Member

Sometimes you just have to shelve your bigger-budget scripts for later if they can't be reduced to something small without compromising the intent. The Polish Brothers, for whom I've shot seven features, started with "Twin Falls Idaho" even though their first script was "Northfork", which became their third feature.

But if the entertainment value of your stories requires expensive sequences all the time, you probably need more practice writing because you may be relying on easy crutches that you think add entertainment value rather than creating it the hard way, which is through interesting characters, dialogue, and situations that don't involve stunts, effects, or exotic locations. Once you begin to master the basics, it's a lot easier to add in expensive sequences.

Im trying to develop a superhero type film, going into it I knew i had to think outside the box as far as costumes, powers, etc. The idea is now along the line of the Heroes TV show mixed Anime elements. t might be shelved if I cant find a way to do it with my resources.

• 3 weeks later...

Every film has budget restrictions, and every filmmaker wishes his/her film had no budget restrictions!

The key when starting out, is to stick with character based stories, with limited budgets, limited locations, etc.

It's just gotta be about story & characters, not cool visuals etc.

Some genre's make this impossible (like super-hero stories!), so if you really want to make a film, and not just THIS film, you have to pick a genre that can exist within a small budget and try to write as interesting a story as possible with that limitation.

This is why there are so many low-budget romantic comedies, for instance - no FX needed, no car chases, explosions, flying people, talking animals, etc.

Matt Pacini

• 4 weeks later...

I see that you are a student just like me. As for now budget is a the problem for me too, and i am not talking about sci-fi, action movie or anything fancy, just a comedy, even that is a problem for me too. The location are the hardest to find, even if you do you got no chance or permission to shoo there. The rest of the gears are the main problem too. So all i can do now is do what is in my range and make the best of it. :/

Doesnt mean you cant write any big budget script, just save them for the future.