When did the Elmo 1012s-xl become a $1,000 camera?

Matthew W. Phillips

• Premium Member

This eBay listing amazes me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmo-Super-8-Sound-1012-S-XL-Professional-Movie-camera-/290588045030?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1389408568150956774

I bought my first one from Germany and it was less than $300 delivered. The second one I purchased off of eBay for about $100 but it had some issues. I was hoping to pick up another but not at this price.

The $ in Camera$ (ebay ID) is there for a reason :)

It is on discount now. $500 off...

These camera$ are always at the extreme point with their prices. Hoping for a desperate seeker (not you) or somebody who is too lazy to do some research before buying. And even at these prices these type of cameras are never fully tested or overhauled. They wouldn't recognize a super-8 cartridge.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

This eBay listing amazes me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmo-Super-8-Sound-1012-S-XL-Professional-Movie-camera-/290588045030?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1389408568150956774

I bought my first one from Germany and it was less than $300 delivered. The second one I purchased off of eBay for about $100 but it had some issues. I was hoping to pick up another but not at this price.

This seller is nuts. The cameras are always rough looking and ridiculously overpriced!

Matthew, have you also considered the Elmo 612s-xl? Exactly the same camera but for the shorter zoom. The lens is just as sharp - I even feel that the 612s-xl is slightly sharper - more light tramsmission due to fewer lens elements. I have shot with both cameras and feel that the 612s-xl has the edge image wise. It is also a lot cheaper than the 1012s-xl (and lighter)

This seller is nuts. The cameras are always rough looking and ridiculously overpriced!

Indeed.

I sold my mint, runs like a Swiss clock Nikon R10 last month for just under $400 (never would have done it had were I not moving overseas this Fall) so superb cameras can be bought for less than you'd think.

BUT, it's beautiful, delightful to hold, a fun conversation piece, highly sought after collectable......AND....they can converse with you in all of the popular languages. Also, remember...full refund if not delighted. HA. Sorry, their ads just make most of us crazy. They often state that film and services are readily available. I emailed them asking where to buy film, when they stated this regarding a UNIVEX 8-A camera. This camera uses single strand Regular 8mm film on now somewhat rare to find, 30ft camera spools. Of course, there isn't any source for single strand film, unless you slit it yourself, or have me or some other lab custom make it up for you (and I have the camera spools). Anyhow, I have noticed that whenever they have that type of camera on there, they don't state that film is available, but do say it will make beautiful movies. Similar nonsense with some AGFA Movex early model that uses a special cartridge for single-strand Regular 8mm (Straight 8mm as it was called back then). Anyhow, hey.....wondeful collectable and beautiful cameras that are highly sought after and........