Where can I find a working Nikon Super 8 camera?!

Mark Sperry

I'm tired of "Flea Bay" and Super8arena seems to be perpetually out of them. KEH sold me a broken R8 (which I was able to return), and a local craigslist seller also TRIED to sell me a broken camera. But I really want a used Nikon R 8 or 10. Either one I don't care! I'm buying for the great exposure meter and build quality. A perfect "Camera A" to my Nizo 481 Macro's "Camera B."

Does anybody know of a seller who has one of these? I almost broke down and bought a Canon 814 Electronic but after reading a bad review of Super 8 Camera Shop I changed my mind...

Or am I just crazy and I should use my great Nizo? I just picked up a Gossen Digisky which has a great cine meter mode, with incident and reflected sensors. It has the ability to set the shutter angle which is cool. I want to be able to use the newer high speed emulsions... I do weddings so speed is important and taking meter readings can be a pain...where as my Nizo's internal meter with 100D is always spot on...

What to do, what to do?!

Edited by Mark Sperry

• 4 weeks later...

Ah some replies! Actually I found one from Super8arena and I LOVE it. It's got a couple quirks but otherwise it's a solid machine. I shot a wedding with it last weekend and was finally able to shoot 500T with exposure compensation. The whole thing that attracted me to the Nikons was the high ISO range. I find it ridiculous that most old S8 cams can't be set manually in regards to ISO...the R8 comes close with it's high range and compensation dial.

Usually I've only shot Super 8 in more controlled environments where there was time to meter and make camera adjustments (unlike most weddings I've been to) so I've never had to rely on the camera's auto exposure. I loved the Nikon's split focusing screen much much better than the Canon's prism matrix thing. It was interesting to me how both the Nikon Zoom 8 and the Canon 814 were from about 1968 or so, but the Nikon has this 40's look and the Canon looks modern to this day. Man, I loved Super 8 but it got to the point where it wasn't much cheaper than shooting 16 on an old Bolex or B&H, and 16 didn't have nearly as many roadblocks as Super 8 had.

Meet the girls!

post-53423-0-55860600-1316707300.jpg

I hate the fact that I was forced to sell my perfect Nikon T10 in order to finish my short film. It just HURTS.

All of the R10's and R8's on eBay are busted in one way or another. And I do mean the ones on eBay right now. I have asked the sellers, most of whom try very hard to hide the fact that either the motor doesn't run or the electronic zoom is broken or the light meter is not functioning. :angry:

Likely temp solution for me is to buy a Canon 310XL until I can find another R10 or something similar that is not as expensive, but still can read 500t stock.