Canon XL-H1

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

I read a review on Amazon about the XL-H1 stating that the mini-DV can only be played back through the camera itself.

Is this true? Can you not shoot directly to a portable hard drive or something?

Anyone?

I ask, because I'm about seven paycheques away from buying one.

• Premium Member

Er, d'you really want one of those?

No progressive scan, remember.

Yes, probably you could use an external recorder.

Well, I guess I'll go for the SD version then. Save a ton of money that way since it's only to put together a reel and nothing more. And by reel I don't mean job stuff, but stuff I'm going to shoot in the coming year and post.

• Premium Member

One word: DSLR.

Have to agree with Phil on this one. The XL-H1 and it's ilk had their day, but unfortunately it was years ago. There are far better images to be had now with less expensive kit.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

^^ what they all said. Biggest problem with those cameras was Cannons 24F mode which, as far as I know, can only be captured into an NLE via the camera itself. You couldn't, say, plug it into a Sony HDV Deck and capture... it just wouldn't work.

At this point in time, unless you're doing long form work; such as event recording or the like, you'd be better off with a vDSLR, which is much cheaper, though still a hassle in a lot of ways. They are more in demand, however.

If you are doing event stuff, I like the JVC HDV cameras, with the nice ergonomic shoulder mounts. Never know when you'll be holding a camera for a long period of time (plus they also can address an exteral recorder).

Or if you're looking for a "best of both worlds," (kinda) then the AF100 is a good choice-- especially since you can adapt it for just about any glass; shoot long term on the SD cards in AVCHD, or output the SDI to something like a KiPro or Ninja for shorter, higher quality stuff.

• Premium Member

^^ what they all said. Biggest problem with those cameras was Cannons 24F mode which, as far as I know, can only be captured into an NLE via the camera itself. You couldn't, say, plug it into a Sony HDV Deck and capture... it just wouldn't work.

At this point in time, unless you're doing long form work; such as event recording or the like, you'd be better off with a vDSLR, which is much cheaper, though still a hassle in a lot of ways. They are more in demand, however.

If you are doing event stuff, I like the JVC HDV cameras, with the nice ergonomic shoulder mounts. Never know when you'll be holding a camera for a long period of time (plus they also can address an exteral recorder).

Or if you're looking for a "best of both worlds," (kinda) then the AF100 is a good choice-- especially since you can adapt it for just about any glass; shoot long term on the SD cards in AVCHD, or output the SDI to something like a KiPro or Ninja for shorter, higher quality stuff.

Err, yeah, but Panasonic doesn't have very fast lenses.