Kodak bankruptcy

What does the Kodak bankruptcy situation mean for the future of professional film? Will they cease to produce film or lower output? Will they discontinue certain stocks?

I'm new to film and find the situation troubling. I'm hoping to shoot a film later this year on their 16 mm reversal film, should I be concerned about not acquiring this stock?

David

To be honest it's not really certain if they will survive forever, In terms of motion picture film, its not disappearing within the next few years, but I cant say anything about the price, its already been raised over the years. So in effect they will probably push them self out of the market completely like they're been doing over the years, but people forget they were the first to design the digital camera but they never acted on it.

look at records they came back into popularity in recent times so film could disappear and then reappear but i highly doubt it.

READ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP88b08411731b41fca28943b54b36da26.html

Production houses believe the complete decline of film at around 2016

but who knows

Kodak didn't go bankrupt they entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

It's surprising the people working for major newspapers who don't seem to understand this. Basically Kodak will just continue trading as normal and all its debts will be wiped out. It's slightly more complicated than that but that the gist OTOH it's not a good sign of the health of Kodak, but then we all knew that anyway.

There is also Fuji who are doing just fine don't forget!

love

Freya

• Premium Member

What Freya said. I'd not worry too much at present. Kodak is still selling/making film and there is always Fujifilm (and Orwo and apparently a company in china?). If you want to shoot film, then order up some film and shoot. It's really the only way to make sure it stays around.

I wouldnt worry about buying/finding film. Stocks will be around for a while.

The problem is with the labs, transfers, conforming, the price of doing a DI, and archiving your film. A lot of people on this site are worried about film stocks existing. They never talk about the film labs that are dying like crazy or the alternatives to getting a DI. Which if you shoot on film and serious about it, you will have to do.

These hidden elements with of shooting on film the cost the most. So do your research.