Why is there no editing sub-forum?

Mei Lewis

I know this is primarily a forum for cinematography, which is something I'm only just starting to learn about know.

The first big realisation I had when shooting stuff was that I was shooting stuff to be editied i.e. to be cut up and sequenced into a cohesive whole.

If I didn't know what the purpose of the film I was shooting was I'd have no clue what to shoot or how to shoot it.

Shooting and editing seem to be as closely linked as shooting and lighting, maybe moreso.

I know most shooters at a certain level don't edit their own stuff, but they must understand editing pretty well anyway?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Is there a post forum elsewhere on the web? I know TIG exists, but it's a bit elitist and not necessarily applicable to anything outside big American TV shows.

I do agree that editing makes you a much better director.

I began my illustrious career as an editor. Nothing fancy working at a PBS affiliate, but I likely had hundreds upon hundreds of time logged in the edit suite before I left to move to Los Angeles. I began shooting during that time as well so the two combined helped me learn what worked and what didn't so much better than reading any books might have (no internet then). I believe that you really have to put in the time in the chair punching buttons, ideally with someone else's shot material so that you can see how difficult the struggle is to make something work if the shots aren't there. Sometimes it's about shots that were done, but they are not at optimum angles or size and other times it's about shots that were missed. To have that experience sitting there in the dark trying to make it all come together is the best education a cameraman can have.

I have a forum going for every job on and off set (at www.realfilmcareer.com), but it is not visited yet, so posting questions to Editors wouldn't result in productive answers. <shrug>

Try this: http://www.norman-hollyn.com/

You might be able to track down some info here as well: https://www.editorsguild.com/index.cfm?