THE Avid

Mei Lewis

• Premium Member

Exacty as Mark Says. There was a time when you needed a lot of proprietary crap to even open up the program, and I recally the Avid being in it's own little room marked "avid," often, and I'd say eventually people got tired of saying "the avid room," and just said "the avid." Ahh the good old days when Editing was as dark of an art as cinematography used to be!

Haven't used [the] Avid in a while, but isn't it still a dark art? I remember in college when we had a Final Cut and an Avid suite, the Avid suite had cobwebs most of the time. I loved it because it was always free haha. There was an elite few of us who knew how to cut on it and loved it.

And I was thinking on the same lines as Mark, thinking people just dropped the word "system" after "the avid".

• Premium Member

I'd say Avid (and editing in general) is much less of a dark art these days as it once was. You can even drag and drop in MC now! Plus, they have flash video tutorials which came with my MC 3.5 when I bought it.

Personally, I love The Avid when I get to use it on my mac, though sadly those times are few and far between as I started editing my reel in FCP years ago and I so do not want to go through importing and logging everything again in MC! Laziness bests me.