Urban Films

jasarsenault

A gallery has asked me to help put together a series of films based on either urban settings or about urban topics in general. It can be docs or fiction in which the urban setting is extremly important. I have begun making a list of possibilities, but I was just curious if anyone else had any good ideas.

• Premium Member

Mike Leigh's "Naked" has a great mood for urban night. "Blade Runner" obviously... A lot of 1970's films have a great feeling for the grittiness of a major city, like "French Connection", "Rocky", "Taxi Driver", etc. For a more romantic look, try Gordon Willis' work in "Annie Hall" or "Manhatten".

A gallery has asked me to help put together a series of films based on either urban settings or about urban topics in general. It can be docs or fiction in which the urban setting is extremly important. I have begun making a list of possibilities, but I was just curious if anyone else had any good ideas.

I have to say COLLATERAL by far this years best night work....But again that's my answer to everything this year.

For urban nights (and especially NYC nights) nothing beats AFTER HOURS

That film's amazing!

Also

The Warriors

New Jack City

Do the Right Thing

& Eyes Wide Shut

For more older urban settings

Gangs of New York (Sorcese is great at depicting a city)

From Hell

The Untouchables

Touch of Evil

Mulholland's Falls

Is or is not "Urban Film" an euphemism for black mainstream film? Im not trying to debate what black cinema is, was,etc just confused about the term "urban film".

I mean would anyone consider Woody Allen, an urban filmmaker???

Here in Atlanta we have the Urban Media Makers Forum and its definately has an African American agenda.

http://www.urbanmediamakers.com/

Not specifically meaning black. As in Urban styles and settings. For example, "Style wars" takes place in New York dealing with Urban art. The artists they talk to are from a variety of ethnicities.

Edited by jasarsenault

Not specifically meaning black. As in Urban styles and settings... a variety of ethnicities.

OK so does "Urban" mean city or non-white/mainstream ???

Is there an assumption about the demographics of the city or urban areas???

Urban to me means city not ethnic. Is it a euphemism in a pc world or not???

• Premium Member

Urban just means city -- and it can be a city anywhere in the world. "Manhattan" is an urban film. Mike Leigh's "Naked" is an urban film. "Lost in Translation" is an urban film... and it's not particularly about African-Americans, is it? Urban just means urban, as opposed to suburban or rural....

FYI: It appears we have a regional conflict here. The Atlanta film community interprets "Urban" as black if not just ethnic. I, for one, hate euphemisms - just say what you mean. That being said I apologize for perverting this thread but I felt compelled to dot the I's and cross the T's. Oh shite is that a euphemism?

http://www.atlantafilms.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...;num=1111693585

I would have to disagree with Urban meaning black, although it has become associated with black culture. I have a lot of friends working in "Urban" forms and they are all ethnicities. Again, " Style Wars" is a film about Urban art, and only some of the characters are black. Hip Hop music is an Urban art form is it not? Yet not all people working in hip hop are black. For example, im working on a doc about chines hip hop artists. This takes place in major Urban settings about an urban art. Yet it would not be considered an Urban film? In any case, I think Ill stick to the dictionary version of the word for my own, since there seem to be many interpretations.

I see where the term can come about with different meanings though.