Kodak Vision 3 best dynamic range film

Paul Bartok

I mean this question in a open minded way, but from personal experience I would say Kodak's statement of 10 stops of dynamic range is not far from it.

Is it fare to say that Kodak Vision 3 series has the most Dynamic range on film than any other film including Photographic, If there is a better film let me know very interested to know.

• 5 months later...

It would be hard to shoot vision3 and not get a decent image. You'd have to try really hard.

Haha Matt, you are so right! One really has to try hard to screw up on the shoot to get a bad image. These stocks are very forgiving. I try to follow the zone system metering (10 stop thing) and am always surprised - a bit more details in the shadow and a bit more info in the highlights.

Ansel Adams would have surely cringed at Kodak for exceeding beyond the purist 10 stop dynamic range. :-)

Having 10-14 stops on the negative will not mean you can show this much in the final product (print/DCP/Bluray, etc). At one stage you will have to make a choice which part you will show to the public;

It is nice to have the choice.

• Upvote 1