16mm camera barney question. Let's shut up this beast!

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Have a camera which loves to SPEAK loud!

Did a test today with a decibel meter, and I must admit that I was a little bit disappointed. Here are results:

Loaded with 400' magazine and film:

70db right next to the camera.

42db 15 feet away.

Loaded with 100' magazine and film:

56db right next to the camera.

41db 15 feet away.

Tried to record a dialogue and see if I can remove noise in post = nope.

Motor is very quite, noise is coming from the magazines and film.

Any ideas on how to make a camera barney?

Edited by Vadim Trofymenko

I don't know which camera you're using, but you can make a barney out of foam and plastic cloth. However, I don't think you'll reduce that noise figure by more than 6dbs. It sounds rather like it needs a blimp, which they used to make for cameras like the Arri 16ST. http://owyheesound.com/arriflex-16-blimp.php

I once made a blimp for a Bolex using chipboard. It wasn't too bad, although it was pretty large - sort of a bit larger than 35mm sync camera size.

• Premium Member

One of the problems I think you'll find is that a good amount of noise is going to come out from where the lens is.. which just so happens to need a pretty clear path to form an image. This is why, on older cameras like the BLs, they blimped the lenses as well. I had a nice barney from Custom Upholster for my 2M which didn't make it that substantially quiet; but knocked her down enough to at least be able to get passable audio with camera noise you could-- in theory-- hide in the room-tone.

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

Maybe there is some secret workflow I don't know about?

Here is mine: Shoot on 16mm, shoot audio on tascam dr-40 with a shotgun mic, sync audio and video in Adobe system, output.

Share yours.

I need something lightweight that really works. Anybody tried using this self adhesive foam?

We also made a barney for a Bolex, however, you couldn't film too close. I'd go for the foam being at least 3cm thick, the foam for my Aaton's barney is at least one centimetre inside leather. I wouldn't consider anything less than that. .

Guest Vadim Trofymenko

A barney made of lead lined foam cuts down the noise considerably. It doesn't have to be that thick. Just google: "lead lined foam" for suppliers.

Jean-Louis

Can't find it online. What about soundproofing vinyl?